32 grain V-max or 39 grain Blitzking for Rockchucks?

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Loki_762
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Encore rifle

32 grain V-max or 39 grain Blitzking for Rockchucks?

Post by Loki_762 »

I am going to have access to some land with rockchucks on it this spring, and I would like to try out the .204 on some of them. I have loaded both the 39 gr. Blitzkings and 32 gr. V-maxes in my gun, both shoot pretty well, and both do a number on ground squirrels at 200 yards and less. But rockchucks are a different story, being bigger and tougher. Shots will likely be further too, given that where I will be shooting is more open. So, if I am shooting up to and including say 400 yards, is the 32 grainer the better choice because of velocity and trajectory, or will the heavier 39 grainer deliver more punch at the longer distances on the heavier critters? Any advice, personal experience, or ballistic info you can provide will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Chris
Never argue with an idiot - first they bring you to their level, then they beat you with experience.
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Re: 32 grain V-max or 39 grain Blitzking for Rockchucks?

Post by futuretrades »

I shoot both bullets with my 204 Howa, mainly on "Skippy", Belding ground squirrels. I would venture to say from personal experience, Your best bet is the 39 grain bullets, especially if you are shooting over 300 yards. The 39's will buck the wind a little better, and will carry better at the longer ranges, i,e better for the bigger animals. If I get a chance at bigger targets at the longer ranges, or even smaller ones at say over 350 yards, for me anyway I will always grab my 39's. I have ranged kills out to around 500 yards with the 39's on the beldings, crows, rockchucks, and a few magpies, and a ranged and confirmed kill on a yote at 419 yards. DRT! Also, which bullet do you have the most confidence in and shoot the most?
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

What I found over here in Ohio is the 32gr'ers start running out of steam at the 250yd mark. Now they will still kill but your shot placement needs to be more precise at the longer ranges. They don't seem to have the explosiveness so you will need to hit them in the sweet spot of the chest. Just my experiences.
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

ROCKCHUCKS? Did someone say "rockchucks?" :eek:

Spring must be close, 'cause I'm thinkin' about 'em too! My past experience mirrors the previous posters. If you plan to shoot them much past 300-350 yards, then the 39gr bullet is a better choice due to increased terminal energy on the larger animal (compared to a ground squirrel or PD).

But to illustrate just how effective the 32gr NBT is for rockchucks at moderate ranges, say out to 250-300 yards, I offer proof that the 32 grainers, out of a lesser cartridge, this time the 20 Vartarg, has a very firm terminal effect on even large chucks such as some of these boys:

Those guys were all shot with the 32gr NBT over 18.5grs of RL-7 in my Cooper M38 VR 20 Vartarg for 3,725 fps.......all one shot kills at 185 to 325 yards. So I'd opine that out of a 204, the 32's can/could be used on chucks at about 100 yards further due to the increased energy and velocity of a 204 with it's extra 300+ fps. The best part is you can load up both and try them on Chucky very soon and make your own mind up. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Loki_762
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Encore rifle

Post by Loki_762 »

Thanks for the responses guys. I have some of each, so I'll load up some of each and give them a shot. I know the 39s will do a nice little cloverleaf at 100 yards, and the 32s seem pretty accurate too - kinda hard to tell for sure though, because my scope died about 3 groups into my last sight in session :roll:. Regardless, I should be able to come up with a good combo for the chucks! Now things just need to warm up...
Thanks,
Chris
Never argue with an idiot - first they bring you to their level, then they beat you with experience.