Bullet Seating

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
scratch1
.204 Ruger Guns: 1-Browning A bolt & 1 Remington 700 SPS

Bullet Seating

Post by scratch1 »

I have just started experining small slivers of brass falling on my loader upon seating the bullet,this just started happening. My bullet seater die is tight so nothing has slipped.Any information as to the cause would be helpful. This is .204 caliber and RCBS dies. It does it with Nosler Ballistic Tip and Hornady V-Max.
scratch1
Trent
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varminter

Re: Bullet Seating

Post by Trent »

Are you sure it is brass and not copper? It is more than likely shavings from the sides of bullets. You may have sharp edges on the mouth of your cases and it is shaving some copper off of the bullet jackets as you press the bullet into the cases. What tool are you using to chamfer the mouth of your cases?
wirelessguy2005
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom 20 SCC, Savage LRPV 20 Nitro , Howa 1500 204 Ruger

Re: Bullet Seating

Post by wirelessguy2005 »

As stated above by Trent you are most likely shaving material off your bullet jackets due to a sharp edge on your case mouth. I would recommend a case mouth chamfer tool be used on all your brass prior to bullet seating. Its best to get in a habit of chamfering case mouth's on all new brass just as you would on used brass that has just been trimmed to length. I prefer the VLD case mouth chamfer tools over any other on the market. The VLD chamfer works well with all styles of bullets including: flat base, boat tail, and VLD. Information for the one that i build is located here: http://www.customreloadingtools.com/crt_010.htm