Sierra Bullet Problem

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
richness
.204 Ruger Guns: RPA Quadlite. Pacnor 3G. DM80. Timney. Macmillan. IOR 4-28

Re: Sierra Bullet Problem

Post by richness »

I couldn't agree more. I always measure to the ogive (and consider it one of the most important accuracy tools) and 39gr SBKs are terrible. Your findings mirror mine. I have recently measured 500 Nosler 40gr and found half a thou in the whole lot.!!! That's better than Scenars....amazing results. I also tested them at 500y against SBKS in a 2.5moa wind and believe me the difference in BC ain't what it says on paper. I suspect that the real BC for BOTH lies somewhere between Nosler's .24 and Sierra's .287, probably both around .255 but either way there's nothing in it at all at 500y in the real world. ALSO the Nozzles are much cheaper when bought in the 250 packs :) I'm a convert :)
PS My rifles have never really got on with the 40gr Hornadys. That's in a factory 1500 and an Archer 1/10.5T. But Nosler 40gr/SBKs/40and35gr Bergers are all inseparable.
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Re: Sierra Bullet Problem

Post by Joe O »

I didn'tconsider measuring OGIVE untill a friend of mine said he had a big difference in his Sie Match King 6.5 .I came home and measured a box of my 6mm 95gr Match Kings and the first two were .019 difference.So it's not just hunting bullets.I sorted by ogive for group testing and shot a .091.The answer my friend got was,that the competion shooters sort them.He went to Noslers and they measured close for the entire box.I shoot both Sie and Nosler in 32 and 39(sie) in my 20cals,and that 95gr MK in my 243AI,for long range work.