Bullet Comparators

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
bb73
.204 Ruger Guns: remington 700 light varmint

Bullet Comparators

Post by bb73 »

I'm going to buy a new bullet comparator and would like to hear from you guys about the different comparators you have or have used. Any feedback will be appreciated.
Pepe-Lepew
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527

Re: Bullet Comparators

Post by Pepe-Lepew »

I use the Sinclair hex style. http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pid=3 ... omparators

I thought it might not be very accurate before buying it. After using it, the measurement is repeatable to the accuracy of my calipers (0.001"). Being multi-caliber and keeping my calipers free for other measurements is a real plus.
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Post by Joe O »

http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pid=3 ... Comparator

I bought the insert type because one hex type did not cover the two calibers I load,(20 & 6mm).Also the insert body takes the shoulder inserts to check set back,when adjusting your dies.Works best with an electronic caliper,because it's quick to zero the reading WINDOW.
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

+1, what Joe O said. Just takes a second to attach to caliper and then it stays put until you are finished.
.204 Ruger Guns: cz

Post by 788k »

Joe O wrote:http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pid=3 ... Comparator

I bought the insert type because one hex type did not cover the two calibers I load,(20 & 6mm).Also the insert body takes the shoulder inserts to check set back,when adjusting your dies.Works best with an electronic caliper,because it's quick to zero the reading WINDOW.
They show the .204 insert for $8, and part # 09-1000 comparator/bump gauge body for $15 which I presume is the right combo. They also show a 09-1050 XL body which I presume is for larger calibers. Correct?
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

Correct, the standard body will accept the comparator insert and the bump gauge insert. The XL is not needed for the smaller calibers. The tech people at Sinclair always seem happy to guide customers through the selection process on their toll free number.
bb73
.204 Ruger Guns: remington 700 light varmint

Post by bb73 »

Thanks guys! Have a Sinclair hex-type on the way. Thanks for the help.
I finally got to shot this past weekend. Tried 10x & 35gr. Bergers. Didn't do to bad @ a 100 yrds but had a little trouble with vertical climbing. Never have that problem with 40gr bullets. I'm sure barrel heat was the issue but it surprised me that 1 bullet weight does this & the other doesn't. Any thoughts?
Red and White
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12FV

Post by Red and White »

I ended up with the digital headspace gauge from Innovative Technologies (http://www.larrywillis.com) for measuring Ogive for resizing and seating depth. Anyone have any experience with it? I've called them a few times for help and Larry always answers the phone and gives good advice.
DoubleUp
.204 Ruger Guns: 204 Ruger

Post by DoubleUp »

I use the Hornady set and it has worked very well for me.