neck tension in an AR

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

neck tension in an AR

Post by ryutzy »

I've got a question for you experts on neck tension. I'm reloading for my 204, and I've got a Redding competition die set. (which I absolutely love) My loaded rounds measure .2265 around the neck. I have a .225 and .224 bushing. So far I've only test fired loads from my 225 bushing and am pleased with results, however I feel like it is barely enough neck tension so I would like to try my 224 bushing. When I neck size with the 224 bushing I get slight brass shavings on the case mouth. It is very minimal but was wondering if this is normal? When I load a 224 sized case I get little if any bullet shavings from seating the bullet. Since I am shooting an AR I prefer strong neck tension. I am hoping to fire my 224 test loads in a few days to see if there is a velocity difference. Any input would be appreciated.
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
lanenebraska
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15 platform 204

Re: neck tension in an AR

Post by lanenebraska »

This may be the answer to your problem 8)

Redding Taper Crimp Die 223 Remington

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... ber=726501

ryutzy

Post by ryutzy »

My last experience with crimping on a non cannalure bullet in the .204 was not real great. I prefer no crimp. I do realize though that the taper crimp would be better than the roll crimp. I wish that Lee made a factory crimp die for the 204. I like their crimp tools. My main question is: Are small shavings bad when neck sizing? I'm only sizing .0025 with the .224 bushing. Should I use the .225 then neck size again with the .224? I'm hoping that I will get to try my .224 tension test loads out tomorrow.
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Are you using a dry lube when neck sizing? If not, you might consider it. Redding makes a good dry lubricant (powder). In a pinch, and VERY LIGHTLY APPLIED, a touch of normal case lube will work. Don't get any inside the case though. Clean your dies at regular intervals until you get a feel for it.

If, after using dry lube, you are still getting brass shavings, call Redding.
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Post by Joe O »

Flat based bullets can cause more shaving when seating than the boat tail.
This inside neck chamfering tool may help.28deg carbide inside cutter.from Sinclair.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/sid=6 ... ree_Cutter
ryutzy

Post by ryutzy »

I am using boat tail bullets, SBKs. I do chamfer my cases, but I do it very lightly. I may need to chamfer them slightly more. I have been using Hornadys Case lube. I believe that I do not need to use lube when using Reddings Nitride bushings. Am I right? Or should I still use some? When I neck size I do not feel like I am overworking the case as the operation is smooth with little resistance. I will check into dry lube from redding.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

ryutzy wrote:I believe that I do not need to use lube when using Reddings Nitride bushings. Am I right?
In a word: "Yes".

But for when you do need lube, for longer than I like to admit, I've had the very best luck using Imperial Dry Neck Lube for neck sizing and their excellent Imperial Sizing Wax for F/L sizing. Both available from Sinclairs and MidwayUSA/others. The BR guys I used to hang with all swear by the stuff. Both just wipe off with a rag or paper towel; no messy spray junk and none of that 150 Weight crap RCBS and the other mainstream outfits sell as case "lube". You could lubricate train axles with the stuff.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails