How much is enough! How much is TOO MUCH??

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
CASEY
.204 Ruger Guns: Two Encores, one rifle and one pistol.

How much is enough! How much is TOO MUCH??

Post by CASEY »

I recently purchaased a can of BLC-2 and I am having good results with 29.0 grains. My question is at what point do I need to be concerned with pressure spikes due to changes in ambient temperatures. Where I live it can be (seasonly) from -20 F to 110 F. :?: :?: :!: :doh:
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Re: How much is enough! How much is TOO MUCH??

Post by Jim White »

If this load is on the high end of the scale then I would test them for pressure when the temp is is high since BLC-2 IS-NOT a Hodgdon "Extreme" powder.
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Re: How much is enough! How much is TOO MUCH??

Post by OldTurtle »

I definitely would be hesitant to load a bunch in the winter, with plans to shoot them during the warmer months.... You don't need any surprises in that area..

I ran into that problem when I first started reloading for my rifles and took some ammo that I had loaded in Feb out to CO for shooting PDs in June...and wound up with some 'hard to open' bolt situations.... I stuck with my factory stuff for the rest of the shoot...

Now I prep all my brass during the Winter months to the point of seating the primers, but don't add powder or bullets until just before I'm ready to shoot it, and I almost never load them on the warm side...

A lot of guys (me included) will take along an ice chest for keeping the ammo from building up heat while sitting in a vehicle...
AR
Factory/Factory