22o Swift vs 204 Ruger?

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Re: 22o Swift vs 204 Ruger?

Post by Hotshot »

That's a fine answer Rick, but I like mine better.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

No arguement Hotshot.....in Wyoming it would take more than that silly string to properly tie things down to prevent their migration to Nebraska.....more like 5/16" dia. aircraft cable and 4' long stainless tent stakes!

Shooting prairie dogs there is a very humbling learning experience in wind deflection and learning "hold-off". It brings new meaning to the importance of high BC bullets and high velocity cartridges as you well know.

By the way.....I DID like your answer! Acloco didn't get any of my cool shootin' stuff that trip!
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

Sorry to highjack your thread POP.

This is actually one of my favorite subjects. All the info is good.

Here's my $.02. I was born into a 220 Swift shooting family and I've had at least a dozen that have fired tens of thousands of rounds(some of those rounds were 220 Ackley Imp). I love the Swift! I have not, however, been real thrilled with fast twist barrels shooting target type bullets. The dog-gone bullet just drills a little hole through the varmint and usually leaves you thinking it was a miss untill it falls over later. If I was advising you on a fast twist, heavey bullet shooting, long range varmint gitter, I'd tell you to go with a 6mm cartridge(I've fired many thousands of rounds with them too).
Back to the 220 vs. 204 thing. At ranges of 400 to 500 yards the 39 grain SBK enjoys a slight edge in trajectory when compared to a 220 shooting a 55 grain SBK. If you can calculate a 22 inch hold for one, you can probably figure out a 22.9 inch hold with the other. Energy edge goes tothe 220, but not by a large ammount. Somewhere in that range distance they both quit exploding on impact.
This point may be the most important depending on what you consider long range. If you use the standard factory twist rifles available over the counter(remember your custom fast twist rifle is going to be 6mm), the 39 gr. 20 cal. bullet will be more stable beyond 500 yards then the 55 gr. 22 cal. bullet if muz. vel. of both is about 3900 fps. This will give you better groups at those longer ranges. I believe my 204 is very accurate still at 600 yards and that is not the case with a 220 Swift. Remember now this is with a 1 in 14 twist off the shelf rifle, not a custom fast twist barrel. So the flood gates are open, let your comments fly. Just remember my opinions are bases on decades in the field and thousands of fired rounds so I'm not easily swayed

The logical answer to your question POP is get one of each, you'll not be sorry.

P.S. I'd get the 204 first
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Hotshot wrote:They're in Wyoming. You have to tie everything down or the wind blows it to Nebraska. How do you think Acloco got all those neat toys?

Nuttin' wrong with 1x fired Lapua or Norma brass! :)
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Hotshot: There's no arguement with all that Swift field experience, that's for certain.

That said, it makes sense to have both a 204R and a Swift, weather a fast twist or not. My M77 Swift still has an almost virginal barrel, having bought it from a good friend who only put 20 rounds through it in the almost 30 years he owned it (exactly one box of ammo!), so if/when I rebarrel it, the project will be a long ways off, and it may get another 14 twist barrel for the 55's....who knows?

I was pretty impressed seeing Allan and Jack knock off those dogs past 800 yards with their fast twist Swifts as you could tell by my post. It sure does get a guy thinking. I was not too bummed out on that shoot though, as my custom M700 243 Ackley kept right up with those Swift hotshots. The terminal effect though went to my 6mm 70gr Ballistic Tips though as you noted.

Also sorry POP, this turned out a bit off topic, but is all good info....hope you agree.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Sorry...still going off the patch on this topic.

The 22/6mm AI will be dutifully tested this upcoming varmint season in Nebraska. 75 gr AMax's are a lot of fun at 400 yards...with any luck, 1000 should be well within reach.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

Hotshot wrote:Sorry to highjack your thread POP.

I believe my 204 is very accurate still at 600 yards and that is not the case with a 220 Swift. Remember now this is with a 1 in 14 twist off the shelf rifle, not a custom fast twist barrel.

P.S. I'd get the 204 first
I have to challenge your 220 Swift claim not being accurate to 600 yards. Now, I'm a fairly new comer to the varmit realm but I've been target shooting for 18+ years out to distances of 1000 yards. I'm here to say, from an accuracy POV those 220 Swifts in 12 twist barrels are deadly @ 1000 yards. To add, these folks were keeping them well within the X-Ring (10" @ 1000 yds) and they're not using benches either. When points are dropped it was set-screw behind the trigger that was the problem.

You do make a good point about the impact on the other end (I, not knowing how a V-MAX vs A-MAX would perform).

Respectfully,

Jim