Sierra or v-max?

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
POP

Post by POP »

Silverfox wrote:My Savage 12VLP likes the 39 gr. Sierra BKs, but some of the 32 gr. Sierra BKs tumble when velocities get much above 3,875 fps. I can shoot the 32 gr. V-Max bullets at 4,255 fps and have no problems with tumbling bullets.
What is your load please? 8)

Re: Sierra or v-max?

Post by POP »

?????
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

EeeGads POP have you been waiting for an answer that long!!!! :lol:

Some of us here have been known to surpass book data by a wide margin. Usually we tend to be hesitant about printing these recipes. All guns are different type thing ya know. Other forums have banned load data for just these reasons. So far not this forum but its sort of an unwritten rule and plain common sense to be prudent.
I've seen suggested 308 Win. loads on other forums that I can absolutely quarentee would leave my tightbore,shortnecked Kreiger Palma tube in little splinters if I were foolish enough to try it.
See what I'm getting at?

Silverfox has divulged some loads in the past but he really goes out of his way to warn any readers the dangers. Usually in big bold red letters.

Simply put, Once you go above book data you had better know what your doing. Not what the other guy did.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

POP--Sorry, but I didn't come back to this thread way back when so I didn't see your question :oops:

Like jo191145 mentioned, some of us are reluctanct to list powder charge weights unless they are within the recommended Min and Max powder charges listed by the powder/bullet manufacturers. I will tell you this much--that load that gave me a muzzle velocity of 4,255 fps is AN EXTREMELY STIFF CHARGE of H4895. I shot that load during the summer and fall of 2004. The following spring, on May 20, 2005, when I tested some of the reloads I had left over from 2004 and with the temperature sitting at 80º, I was getting average muzzle velocities of 4,299 fps and 4,305 fps out of two 3-shot groups over my chronograph. On June 12, 2005, with the temperature at 75º, I shot a 6-shot group over the chronograph and got an average muzzle velocity of 4,301 fps. My Savage 12VLP was shooting extremely small groups with the loads I had worked up for the 35 gr. FBHP Bergers (my coyote load) as well as shooting small groups for the 39 gr. Sierras. My feeling was that if I continued to shoot these HOT loads witht he 32 gr. V-Max I would be hastening the erosion on the throat and this was too good a barrel to do that so I worked up a slower load.

The load I wound up using for the 32 gr. V-Max in 2005 is below the 29.0 gr. max load listed by Hodgdon. I used 28.5 gr. of H4895, but got a muzzle velocity of 4,172 fps while the Hodgdon data lists muzzle velocity for 29.0 gr. of H4895 at 3,980 fps out of a rifle with a 24" barrel. My Savage 12VLP has a 26" barrel, but that wouldn't account for the 192 fps difference and I'm using .5 grain less powder than their max load.

Anyway, I apologize for not coming back to the thread and answering your question earlier. I'll have to repeat what I usually tell all people who ask me for the loads I use--Each rifle/barrel is unique and what works in my barrel may or may not work in yours. You have to be willing to spend the time at the range, like I did, to find out what works and what doesn't. In my opinion, there just aren't too many shortcuts to working up a good load for your rifle. You just have to do that yourself.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Re:

Post by Gube »

Silverfox wrote:My Savage 12VLP likes the 39 gr. Sierra BKs, but some of the 32 gr. Sierra BKs tumble when velocities get much above 3,875 fps. .
Same issue with my Savage 12 VLP. As soon as I started increasing the charges, they tumbled quite badly. I tried RL-10X, H-322, Benchmark, and H-4895.
When I bought my next 204, a savage 12 BTVSS, I tried them and they did fine. No tumblers.
This new one also likes the 40 gr V-max, whereas my VLP doesn't like them.
Overall the 39 gr BK's and the Berger 35 and 40 gr are my favorite with both tubes.
Savage Vaporizer