Ruger MKIII

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
GlennGTR
.204 Ruger Guns: 77 ultralight all weather

Ruger MKIII

Post by GlennGTR »

I am thinking on one of these fine pistols for hunting small game...mostly grouse here in washington where it is legal. Having a hard time deciding on wich model to get. 5.5 stainless bull barrell or 6.5 hunter with glow pin sights ive never tried the pin sights but years ago had a bull barrel target in 4.5 with standard sights. Do the new sights on the hunter model make it that much easier for a precise shot?
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Re: Ruger MKIII

Post by glenn asher »

I STRONGLY feel that you can do more precise work without the glowworm, fibreoptic sights, which monkey with your vision. There's a reason for the old patridge sights used on bullseye guns, they work.
I don't think there is any possible way to be as precise as a good old plain black sight. S&W put red inserts in a lot of their revolvers over the years, it was a fad, in my opinion, that they nourished and cultivated. BUT ALL THEIR MATCH GUNS HAD PLAIN BLACK SIGHTS. Fiberoptic sights are essentially the same, light catches "funny" in the red (or green, or whatever) and pulls your eyes away from where they should be, causing a miss.

If you want to shoot real fast and dirty, fibreoptics are fine, but good old black sights are better for fine work.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Re: Ruger MKIII

Post by Captqc »

Glenn, I've got the Mark III Hunter and love it! Some where around here you'll find a picture or two of it. Gary