34 grain nosler shots

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
Jason Shore
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington VSSF 11

34 grain nosler shots

Post by Jason Shore »

Anybody any experience with the 34gr nosler shots :?:
Just purchased 200 and need some reloading information for them
I will be using hornady brass
any info appreciated
Thanks Jason
greystone
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VTR

Re: 34 grain nosler shots

Post by greystone »

Jason Shore wrote:Anybody any experience with the 34gr nosler shots :?:
Just purchased 200 and need some reloading information for them
I will be using hornady brass
any info appreciated
Thanks Jason
I'm probably expressing some ignorance here but I'm not familiar with a 34 gr Nosler shot. I believe that Nosler makes the Midway Dogtowns and Midsouth Varmint Extremes. Both of these bullets are 34 gr with a rather large hollow point. I have both of these and they appear to the same. Anyhow you can probably start with a 35 gr Berger load. That's what I did with the Dogs. Dave
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

Dave, Nosler Shots are what they call them in Australia, where they have another form of the English language :lol: . They are the selfsame Midway Dogtown/Midsouth Varmint Extreme bullets sold here stateside. If anything, Australia gets them before we do here.

Jason, try some Benchmark 2 with your "shots", starting around 26.0 grains and working upwards, you should find something that will make your rifle shoot well. Using Berger's data will help, or you can start with a midrange load for the various 32 grain bullets and ease upward. I've not had the good results with the 34 gr. bullets that I have with 32s, but they are plenty good enough for pasture/paddock pizza on rabbits, hares and whatever else that needs killin' in Oz. I don't think I'd try them on your infamous black panthers, though............... :mrgreen:
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
greystone
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VTR

Post by greystone »

Thanks for the heads up on that Glen. Learn something new every day. From what I've experienced-with my rifle anyway-that the accuracy will drop off if you try to shoot these things too fast. Keep them down around 3500 and they can be quite accurate. Of course I'm not one to talk about accuracy anymore after shooting my postal targets yesterday :eek: :eew: Dave
BTW I used both H322 and IMR4895 using Berger 35 grn data
glenn asher

Post by glenn asher »

I use a rather milder load of Benchmark with mine, or 2230-C, either one runs about the same, a little over 3900 fps. with no problems, and the POI is even the same, at least out to 300 yards. They work well enough on prairie dogs, at least to take some of the financial pressure off shooting several hundred :lol: I still favor the 32s for my needs, but I'll use the HPs if I get the chance. I'm cheap! :lol:
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

I just got on the forum to ask about these Midsouth shooters has them on sale for $34 dollars per 500. How is the accuracy I was thinking of ordering a 1,000 for next years squirrel season. I had thought that I had missed out when I couldn't get them earlier for $89 dollars a thousand.
glenn asher

Post by glenn asher »

Ryan, I haven't been able to get below 5/8" with them, but that's good enough for most of the things I care to do, most of the time. They DO work well enough on PDs, I tried them this summer, and they splatted pretty good. Mostly I shot VMaxes because I wasn't sure about them, but now I'm not as concerned, they did well. Next time, I'll take more of the 34s, it'll save me a little money.
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

I like to have a few shots, but never when I'm loading. I had more than a few shots with the Nosler bunch at their Red Mist Shoot in Wyoming a few years ago, when my son-in-law and I got drafted into guiding for that shoot. Those shots were after dinner, long past shooting time. If I recall Makers Mark was involved as well as Jack Daniels.
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

Hotshot wrote:I like to have a few shots, but never when I'm loading. I had more than a few shots with the Nosler bunch at their Red Mist Shoot in Wyoming a few years ago, when my son-in-law and I got drafted into guiding for that shoot. Those shots were after dinner, long past shooting time. If I recall Makers Mark was involved as well as Jack Daniels.

Good choices Hotshot (now we know where that moniker came from) but those shots weigh as much as a 12 guage slug. A little too much pressure for the 204.
And then theres twist and stabilization. After too many shots I have plenty of twist but no stabilization. :hic: :duh:

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

jo191145: Well said....you cwack me up! :lol:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails