ghillies for a bowhunter

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
sniper model 12
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 single shot synthetic stock bull barrel

ghillies for a bowhunter

Post by sniper model 12 »

I do a lot of bowhunting (deer, coyote, turkey) and my leafy suit is 8 years old and very faded. It does good for hideing against a winter tree, but not so good for spring, summer, and early fall hunts. I'm getting busted in low light because my light gray bush suit "glows" in the dark.

I've been researching ghillies and found some on sniperghillies.com. One particular for bowhunters. . . . but the suit is open on the chest and arm. I also need a suit that will work for the .204 excursions after Mr. Wiley Coyote and the gang without taking extra time to tie and untie jute and burlap.

Looking for a onestop shop or some ideas to consider.

Help :chin: :?: :D
"Adopt the pace of Nature: Her secret is patience."
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Bunnybuster
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger No. 1

Re: ghillies for a bowhunter

Post by Bunnybuster »

Have you considered, buying the archery suit, and then converting your exisitng gear into a ghillie?
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Michigan hunter
.204 Ruger Guns: savage model 12 cal. 204

Post by Michigan hunter »

me and my dad are very avid hunters and he only is a traditional hunter so he ground stalks alot and he wanted a ghillie suit for awhile and we couldent find any with a reasonable price so we came up with the idea of using fabric like you would find at joans fabrics for big needles or tying a present(basically brown and black and any cammo color string) but it has to be the thicker string because the thin is too much to deal with ...... then you go buy a nylon mesh sheet(like a fishing net material we got ours at an army surplus) and make sure it is big enough to go overtop of your body and cut holes in it for your arms and your head and then take the fabric strings and tie that to the nylon mesh sheet and then you can customize the colors you want and where you want them to be...it only took about a day to complete the body but the part he cut out for the head he made into a hat if you have enough fabric...but when you are getting ready to place the fabris strings on the mesh sheet you have to bundle it up into like strands of 13 or 14 is what we did and then just tyed it to the mesh sheet and it worked great he has gotten a few deer now and has pictures of him within 4 ft of a deer while he was standing next to a tree.....it is a very cheap and very effective......the only problem is that when he opens his eyes they are bright and clear so you have to either make a hat out of some extra material or come up with a way to cover your eyes.... it works great for the money we put into it we only spent like 65$ for all the material and im thinkin about gettin me one so i can get into traditional hunting with a longbow and muzzeloader
sniper model 12

My existing suit is not made of quality material that would efficiently support additional material.

I've been researching this for a while and have found a plethora of different ideas and tricks. One idea that had been sugested was to make a ghillie vest to wear over the existing suit that would allow increased versitility.

I think what I'll do is get a regular ghillie to use for coyotes and such then use the existing suit for late fall/winter deer when I can blend with tree bark better. I may have to find a lightweight black jacket and pants to wear to the tree stand. . . . .you throw this suit down in the grass in low light right before dawn and it g l o w s a pale grayish color. :wall: not what ya want for a morning hunt!

I like the idea of make-your-own suit!
Ralph Waldo Emerson
sniper model 12

I checked out the camo store link. they had the same pics as sniperghillies.com did. . . . and the same suits. They may be a distributor for sniperghillies.com or something to that effect. I appreciate the link though.

I did find some other cool stuff on that site!
Ralph Waldo Emerson