Nikon Monarch Reticles?

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
VarMitt
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100

Nikon Monarch Reticles?

Post by VarMitt »

Looking at the 6-24x50 Nikon Monarch. I looked through a Monarch with the Fine crosshair reticle and thought the hairs were a bit too fine! Especially when scopeing a squirrel sitting in a distant shady area. Could lose sight of center crosshair in real shady situation. So has anyone had experiance with the Nikon Fine crosshair, the BDC or the Nikoplex reticles for small varmint hunting?
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Nikon Monarch Reticles?

Post by Rick in Oregon »

VarMitt: Search through this part of the forum, as there was a discussion fairly recently on this very subject. The title may not be titled exactly about the reticle issue, but the discussion was on the suitability of the various Nikon reticles for small varmints. Some felt some of the reticles were too coarse and blotted out small targets, some felt the exact opposite as you do about some of them being too fine.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

VarMitt
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100

Post by VarMitt »

Thanks Rick for your commets, I did look at the earlier optic forum posts and found more info. on the Nikon BDC reticle; it's too heavy. Some folks did like the fine x hair reticle. Didn't see any commets on the nikoplex reticle. The Monarch (with fine X) just arrived today and I was surprized at how fine the hairs are, as I stated there might a problem with seeing the x hairs on small critters sitting in distant shady areas. I have a Vari X lll Leupold with their fine x hairs on the 22-250, but they are not as fine as the Nikons. And I have a VX lll Leupold with the varmint reticle on the 204;I love it. So I'm having some doubts about mounting the Nikon scope on the new 17 Fireball or sending it back for another type of reticle. I know what you are thinking; I should send it back buy another $$$ Leupold!
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Varmitt,
After using a couple of different scopes on varmints I got a Leupold with the Varmint Reticle last year and now I wouldn't use anything else. Just my 2 cents as everyone has what they like best.
Go with what makes YOU happy and don't look back.
Gary