308 on Elk

Talk about North American big game hunting.
GlennGTR
.204 Ruger Guns: 77 ultralight all weather

308 on Elk

Post by GlennGTR »

Does anyone at this forum hunt elk with a 308 win and if so what were your results?What kind of bullit and load did you use?
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: 308 on Elk

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Glenn: I don't hunt elk with a .308 Win, but know those who do. As long as shots are taken at reasonable range (say inside of 250-300 yards), and the shot is well placed, then the .308 is completely adequate for elk. I know of alot of bulls that have been killed with the caliber. I would not try any "Texas Heart Shots", or any quartering shot with a .308 though.

I'd recommend a premium bullet, such as the Partition, Barnes TSX, or similar high performance bullets in the 150 - 165gr range. That would allow decent velocity, and still have enough bullet weight for energy and proper penetration. Using the Barnes TSX (or TTSX), you can shoot "light for caliber" bullets, get better velocity, and still get complete penetration almost every time from most angles at "normal" hunting ranges.

I personally like larger bullets for large animals, but you can't argue with the guys who've been killing them for years with their .270 Winchesters, .30-06's and the like. By the way, in the .30-06, the 200gr Nosler Partition is one heck of an elk killing bullet. (A bit too heavy for the .308 Win though).

Sort of a general comment, but if you can keep muzzle velocity above 2600 fps, you should be in good shape using the .308 Win and a good/proper bullet and decent shot placement (probably the most important thing to consider, as always).
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

predhunter
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Re: 308 on Elk

Post by predhunter »

my uncle used my 308 and shot a moose at about 250 yards and it went no where and he was using remington accutip.