Got my first coyote yesterday evening!!!!

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
NCVARMINT

Got my first coyote yesterday evening!!!!

Post by NCVARMINT »

Hello guys,
I went hunting behind my house about 4:45 yesterday. Got up to my stand and set the decoy heart up beside the foxpro about 20yards to my left. Started out with the rabbit distress for about 2 min, then waited two minutes, then i tried the baby rabbit distress, and after about two minutes here she came around the corner, keeping her eyes focused on the decoy. She was about 25-30 yards out when i shot her with the 11-87 loaded with dead coyote. First shot knocked her down, but went to shoot again and the dern gun jammed, after about 15 seconds i got the gun cleared shot again i ended her life. It was a pretty 9-10 month old female coyote with a pretty light blond fur. I am getting her mounted and should have it back by april or may.
I had a question?
I know there are more coyotes up in the mountain where i shot this one, and wanted to go back this evening, Is it okay or should i wait a little while? Also can i used the same baby rabbit distress call. thanks abunch..

savage rookie
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV, Savage VLP

Re: Got my first coyote yesterday evening!!!!

Post by savage rookie »

wow what a beaut!
The handle of the axe comes from the tree it chops.
bullfrog
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 MarkII All Weather Ultralight

Post by bullfrog »

Nice shootin NC. Those close range ones are fun.
As far as whether or not to go back, that is a tough one to answer. Seems like I would rest the area for a week or so, but that isn't to say you might get another one if you went back right away. Every area is different. If you are the only hunting pressure, you can probably be a little more aggressive. If the dogs are hearing other guys out calling also, they will most likely be a little more shy. Mix the calls up if you can. Then at least they aren't hearing the same stuff over and over, but don't be afraid to stick to one call for the whole calling session.
Let us know how it goes, and Good Luck!!! :shotgun:
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul.
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

Its hard to say but I would just move to a new location and mix it up a little. You will find out the more you hunt them the more crafty you both get.
Rugerdogdog
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS Panther Arms LR-204

Post by Rugerdogdog »

I wouldn't go back that soon, unless its your only option. If so I would DEFINATELY use a different call/or sequence. I don't have enough experience to say that you WOULD be educating the dogs but I get into few enough of them that I go out of my way not to educate them. If you give it a week there may be new dogs in the area.
DPMS Panther Arms LR-204 24" Stainless Fluted Heavy Barrel

There is a place for all of Gods creatures...RIGHT NEXT TO THE POTATOES AND GRAVY.
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

Post by Melvin Eades »

That's a pretty one. Are you going to keep the hide?
Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
NCVARMINT

Post by NCVARMINT »

Melvin Eades wrote:That's a pretty one. Are you going to keep the hide?
Better yet, i am having it mounted, should be back aroung april or may

trevor