Back in the .204 World!

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
aocasek

Back in the .204 World!

Post by aocasek »

Well, after a lengthy absence from the site and from the .204 world I finally got back in the game. I stated out with an encore barrel in 204 and just recently (about a month ago) got a CZ 527 varmin Kevlar and have been doing some shooting and reloading. I've been playing with powders and worked up a load to hunt with while I play with other powders and bullets. I've been using the 32 V-max over 22.5 of IMR 4198 and its doing the trick for groundhogs, its also more accurate than i expected. If i do my part it'll shoot on hole groups. Hopefully the pics I'm about to post will work as I'm not to computer savy.

I've also been having success with the 32's and benchmark and H4895 for the 35 bergers. I'm going to play with the 39 BK's this weekend to see what they do. I'm amazed at how fast the hogs drop when shot...they go down without so much as a quiver and the greatest thing is I can watch it all go down through the scope! I've shot 6 or 7 hogs and I've only had one complete pass through. The rest have had a tiny entry hole and a buldge on the opposite side. Hopefully, from what Ive read on the site the 39 BK's will give a bigger splat factor.

[/img]
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

It looks like you have your rifle dialed in pretty good for those 32 gr. V-Max loads.

I think you will probably forget about shooting those 32 grainers, though, when you find a load for the 39 gr. Sierras. They are and awesome bullet and will give you less wind deflection, if wind is a problem where you shoot. Let us know how the 39 gr. bullets are working for you.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
jason

Post by jason »

nice pics, it sure is nice to be playing with skippy again!!! If you want to see violent results on skippy try a box of 32gr. blitzkings-if you like the results you get with the 39's, you will LOVE the 32's. all of the pics of our hunting trips are with the 32gr in the 204 and the other kills are with a 22 hornet, you will know which is the 32gr blitzkings
As long as the primers Ignite!!!
Arizona Hunter

Post by Arizona Hunter »

Super group. Those 32's are a keeper.

On a typical outing, how many hogs do you see?
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Welcome back to "The Game!!" :wink: Thats a nice lookin rig you got there & it sure shoots real sweet as well. Nice lookin hogs too!!
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
aocasek

Post by aocasek »

AZ Hunter: Normally I see 3 to 5 Hogs when I go. Whackin' 2 or 3 is a decent outing and I normally hunt evenings and I'm really only out there from about 5-730 or so, depending on the action. Typically, I see more hogs than I can safely shoot cause they have a nack for coming out in an unsafe direction like towards the road or houses. I could probably get away with a shot but why take a chance. Also, the landscape i hunt is rolling fields so it cuts down on the amount of acreage I can watch from a single position. It more like, shoot one and move, shoot another and move again. Moving so much adds a little challenge cause its easy to get made in an open field.

Adam
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

aocasek: Nice shootin' there bud. Welcome back.

Out here, we call that kind of activity "snoopin' & poopin"....a term from another time and another place. It sure is great to mount the bipod, fanny pack full of ammo, and roam around for targets of opportunity.

Keep us fed with photos and stories! :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Arizona Hunter

Post by Arizona Hunter »

Sounds like a relaxing way to spend the early evening, popping ground hogs. I'll have to ask my brothers in MN if they have any around that need thinning when I visit.