Reloading vs Commerical Ammo ??

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
LRJ35A

Reloading vs Commerical Ammo ??

Post by LRJ35A »

For you folks that reload on a regular basis, what would guess it costs on average per round to load.

I'm fully aware of different cost structures if you use new vs fired brass, but lets say using new brass then used brass for 2-3 times and loading up say 1000 rounds, using 32 or 39's.

Thanks alot for your input.
"Lock n Load" ...Denny Crane
BSmith

Post by BSmith »

Here's an online (Excel) calculator that will help you. You'll need to know the cost of all your components obviously.

http://www.bghi.us/reloading/reload_calc.xls
Fire kills people. We need tougher match control laws!
WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Post by WrzWaldo »

A quick guess for a lot of 1000 would be about 30 cents per round with 39BK's. Hey just tried that spreadsheet, it says $0.2560. The 34 grain dogtowns per lot of 1000 is under $0.18.

On the factoy side Federal Premium ammo with the 39BK will cost you $0.80 per round. And a similar dogtown factory load will cost you about $0.90 a round.

Of course you may want to factor in some of your time. But for me it is a nice way to relax so I don't factor in my time.
dch

Post by dch »

You should not reload to save money.
You should reload to improve accuracy and because you enjoy it .

Most of the time you don't save money, especially if you are counting what your time is worth.

Having said this I almost never use factory loads I reload for all my guns.

Drew
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

I load for accuracy first and cost savings second.

Money saved:

No more purchasing every available box of rounds over the counter.

Money spent:
Reloading equipment
Reloading components

Time - this is a toss up. If you are in a job that allows overtime, you will work overtime to pay for factory ammo or reloading equipment/components.

I still believe the time spent at the reloading bench is some of the best time that your money spent! ;)
Lee C.

Post by Lee C. »

Will improve accuracy is the bigest thing i reload for. Do you save any money, In one way yes but i shoot alot more now and have more guns to work with and hunt with. So for me i really don't think i save one dime yet. But like acloco said, This is some of the best time for me to relax. When i can go to the reloading bench no matter what i doing. Just cleaning brass or loading rounds to shoot. That's how i relax it's a great time for me to get away from thing's. So jump in and have fun with it. It's a great past time. The only reson i work is so i can hunt more.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Have thought a little more on this topic since posting.

I actually shoot LESS when in the field, because I get more hits.

I have stopped load development for my 223 because I have found THE LOAD that this rifle likes - 69 grain bullet at 3000 fps - which will buck the wind great and not drop like a lawn dart when shooting in the 500/600 yard range. But, it did take me a bit to get to this point. 1800 rounds (this includes 1000-1200 shot last summer on prairie dogs).