New bench

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
sharptailhunter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12FV

New bench

Post by sharptailhunter »

I have access to 400 acres of dry farm alfalfa in which to hunt ground squirrels. So far I've only been able to hunt one small spot of it because that's the only spot I could drive to and shoot. This weekend, a local outdoor store had this bench on sale for a steal, $140.00. http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/201 ... -position/

Now I will be able to load up all my crap and head to other corners of the field that haven't been shot at yet. It assembled in about 5 minutes. It would have been faster if my son wouldn't have started rolling the wheels down the drive way :D

I really wanted to be able to give a range report on it by now but our weather this weekend sucks! How's a high of 40 with rain and gusts 20-28 mph sound for a Memorial Day weekend? :evil:
Nonetheless, as soon as I'm able to put it in the trenches, I'll report back on how it worked. Sitting in the garage, it's comfortable to sit on and feels solid. I can tell already that the cheap wood top is going to be replaced real soon for something more substantial.
broper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 sps

Re: New bench

Post by broper »

I like that cart/bench. Where are you located?
sharptailhunter

Pocatello, Idaho. Howdy neighbor!
Trent
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varminter

Post by Trent »

That is a really interesting portable bench. I've not seen that one. Definitely report back on it with a review. I do a lot of hike in pdog shooting and just have to shoot off bipods. Problem is that out here in the prairie of CO we have an awful lot of ground cactus and I look like a pincushion by the time the day is over.

I'll be particularly curious as to how it performs on uneven and slanted ground. Like on the side of a hill.
sharptailhunter

Trent wrote:I'll be particularly curious as to how it performs on uneven and slanted ground. Like on the side of a hill.
I'm really pleased with how the cart worked! Here's a link of it in action: http://www.204ruger.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8778

Per your request, I tried it on hills. It works fine. It does have brakes on it so it won't roll on you. You can't level the table top with the horizon like you could on a pivoting bench, but I use a bipod so it wasn't a deal breaker for me. It's way easy to swing from shooting in one vector over to another just by moving the seat portion around and letting the wheels do the pivoting.

Now that I have used it, I can see a few mods I'm going to make on it. First, I want to make a new top and sides out of a harder wood. For what I was doing, it was great. But, I'm not sure of how weatherproof the finish is on it. Plus, I want to make the sides taller and longer. In other words, when they are folded out in the shooting (bench) position, it will give a bigger surface to use. We also used it to haul firewood. It worked great for that, but again, I question the durability of the stock wood. I was thinking of using an oak plywood with a nice polyurethane finish. I had wondered about having the wood rhino lined? I wonder if that would make it too hot while shooting prairie dogs? The wheels are solid rubber, so no goatheads or cactus popping the tires. 8) I also loved how compact it folds down and it's incredibly easy to further disassemble if needed, which made it easy to stash it in my outside cubbyhole of my travel trailer.

Overall, I'm happy with the purchase. The price was fair. It's generally well built and well designed. I can see it working for many a hunts in my future :)