VLD Chamfering Tools

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

VLD Chamfering Tools

Post by RAMOS »

I picked up a very low drag (VLD) inside case chamferring tool from Sinclair Int. recently. In use, it is smooth as butter. I would love to find a VLD type outside case mouth tool but have had no luck. Anyone have an outside tool that they REALLY like? My old one is the standard Redding inside/outside double ended gizmo. Thanks
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: VLD Chamfering Tools

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Ramos: I don't believe an "VLD" outside chamfering tool is available. If you consider it, a tool as described would literally "sharpen" the outside of the case necks if used inside and out, and give no real advantage over the standard 45* tools. You'd really have to be careful using such a tool, or you may end up with a .204" "cookie cutter". ;)

The chamfering tool is only used to remove the burrs or factory neck irregulararities. Other than the nice feel the VLD tool gives when deburring the inside of a case neck, I can't think of any real reason to use a similar tool on the outside of the case neck. Am I missing something? :chin:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

No Rick, I don't think you are missing anything here. It just seems that the tool I currently use sometimes hangs up or chatters when smoothing up the outside after trimming. I understand that chamferring is good, sharpening is BAD! Thanks
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

I use a VLD attached to my RCBS brass prep center. Just a touch....for the inside...and you are done.

Would like a multi flute outside chamfer tool, the one slot on the RCBS center is slow and does not do that good of job.