Neck Sizing poi change

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
Inrut24/7
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa 1500

Neck Sizing poi change

Post by Inrut24/7 »

I worked up some neck sized loads and while group size is still great they seem to hit around 3/4 inch lower than the full length sized loads, same powder charge same primers ect. is this the norm?
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Re: Neck Sizing poi change

Post by Joe O »

All else being equal,the reduced volume of the FL sized case would create more pressure,thus,more velocity.A matter of case volume.
Inrut24/7
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa 1500

Post by Inrut24/7 »

So is it safe to say i can bump my neck sized loads up a few tenths to match my FL sized loads, that is if accuracy stays good. Im shooting 25.1 reloader 10x and 39 sbk with no pressure signs. I have alot of time in calibrating my varmint hunters reticle with the fl sized loads, I would like to get my neck sized one to hit the same.
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Post by Joe O »

Starting out with a new gun and virgin brass,I would load below max by a grain or so,depending on caliber,experience,and others input on loads,and seat bullets at different OAL by .020 increments.Looking for best group at OAL,then necksize and bump up powder a couple tenths for the load that grouped the best (OAL).Then set up your drop chart.Loading large volumes of virgin brass for a Prarie Dog shoot,I just developed a load with virgin brass,where I only cleaned the flash hole,champhered the inside of the case,and loaded without sizing at all.I neck size and trim to square up the moths after the first fireing. OTHERS WANT TO FL SIZE AND TRIM VIRGIN BRASS FOR THE FIRST FIRING.
BULLET TENSION DOES MATTER,AS DOES OAL