Groundhoghunting in Ohio

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
browniejamie60
.204 Ruger Guns: savage model 12

Groundhoghunting in Ohio

Post by browniejamie60 »

Hello i,m looking for new ground to hunt on in ohio for groundhogs i hunt around mansfield now about three times a year now i live in indiana and there,s not very many left thank you jamie brown
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Re: Groundhoghunting in Ohio

Post by RowdyYates »

Re.: hunting around Mansfield, are you talking www.ncovarmintexpress.com? If not, Mike Groff can fix you up, for a price. I have no idea what he charges for a "guided groundhog hunt" - I'm not making this up - but I do know some of his family from that area and they seem like straight-up people.
As for other places in the state: Ohio, despite the Great Recession and an (alleged) loss of population, continues to "urban sprawl" at an alarming rate. Finding farms and enough open space to safely shoot a centerfire rifle is becoming harder. Another potential problem arose recently: sadly, a woman who lives just over the hill from a farm where I hunt 'hogs was murdered, a gunshot to the head; now - and rightfully so - people around here are on edge and arming themselves due to this and a large amount of break-ins. Has me wondering what it'll be like in the spring. Will people be shooting at legitimate hunters? I could understand homeowners reporting strangers with rifles to the law, but you never know...