Remington triggers

Talk about or share information about your centerfire rifles.
aorelup
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 BGTVS

Remington triggers

Post by aorelup »

Hola,

I have a 700 BDL 30-06 and thought the trigger pull was a bit much so adjusted it following directions on this page: http://www.quarterbore.com/library/arti ... igger.html

This definitely lowered the pull considerably but the trigger has quite a bit of travel before releasing the pin. Question is, is there a way to remove the travel? Thanks in advance.
steve
.204 Ruger Guns: rem 204 lvsf

Re: Remington triggers

Post by steve »

Install a jewell !!!
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

If you follow the instructions closely, you'll see that one screw is for pull weight, one is for overtravel, and the other, best left alone (really!) is for sear engagement.

Once you get the pull weight set, cock the action and adjust the overtravel screw out till the rifle will not fire (assuming you cleared the chamber prior to starting!), then back out the screw until she fires, then turn it out 1/8 turn for safety and lock her down. I use clear nail polish over the screws to prevent firing vibration from backing them out once set.

It's not hard, but must be done carefully. Once finished, do the "bump test" on the floor to make sure it's safe and the striker won't follow down on the primer when bumped by the butt on the floor.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

aorelup
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 BGTVS

Post by aorelup »

steve wrote:Install a jewell !!!
Thanks for your indispensable contribution to this thread.

Rick,
It actually turned out to be the sear engagement screw that affects the creep. I did in fact mess with it, almost got all the creep out. However, I did reach a point where further reducing the creep made it unsafe. So tested it by slamming the bolt forward and hitting butt of the rifle on a hard floor (almost to the point where I feared the plastic butt plate would crack) and the firing pin did not drop. Another 1/8th turn from there would be unsafe, so locked the screw in with a dab of superglue gel.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Right on then, sounds like you got her dialed in properly. Most 'casual' shooters probably should not mess with sear engagement, as most don't understand how important it is to safety. Glad you did yours to the letter and she's now good to go. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

steve
.204 Ruger Guns: rem 204 lvsf

Post by steve »

IT WAS A JOKE !!!