Universal Decapping setup for 204

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
Merrifield

Universal Decapping setup for 204

Post by Merrifield »

I want to deprime my brass after sizing and cleaning. Looks like the manufacturers are having a tough time setting up the decapping rod with a slim enough profile that it won't touch the inside of the neck. Anyone found a good decapper for a 204?
BabaOriley
.204 Ruger Guns: Dtech AR

Re: Universal Decapping setup for 204

Post by BabaOriley »

I wanted to deprime BEFORE tumbling, so I picked up a cheap Lee Breech Lock Challenger press to use as a dedicated depriming press. It uses quick change bushings similar to Hornady's Lock-N-Load system' Although it isn't as beefy as the Hornady LnL Classic press, it's plenty good for depriming, and if I ever need to set up any other odd dies I have 2 spare quick change bushings. It sits on my bench ready to deprime without needing to change the The Lee Universal Decapping Die has worked great for me for everything from the .204 Ruger to 500 S&W.

Keeping a dedicated depriming press may keep the primer gunk out of my other press, but the real advantage is I can deprime anything I bring to the bench without having to change the dies out in my main press.

Simple answer: The Lee Universal Decapping Die works great.
huntsman22
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77VT and ruger mkII Ultralite

Post by huntsman22 »

It is an easy trick to modify the rcbs universal decapper die to work on the 20 cals...... Remove the stem, chuck it up in a drill, and turn down the knurling on the decapper pin nut. You can use a fine mill bastard file or a sharpening stone to remove stock. It only takes a minute, and when the knurl checkering is just about gone, you're there....... If you break a pin, a pair of pliers will still grip the nut......
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

Ever consider buying a bushing die? That will do the job nicely and size your brass too.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

Merrifield--Here's a link to the CH Tool & Die web site where I purchased my universal decapping die for my .17 and .20 caliber decapping chores:

http://www.ch4d.com/

Works great!!!
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox