Anyone tried the PMC primers?

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
long range dogr
.204 Ruger Guns: remington vls

Anyone tried the PMC primers?

Post by long range dogr »

Like the title says. Have any of you tried their small rifle primers in your 204 hand loads?

We are evidently having a hard time getting Federal,CCI and Winchester primers around here!
jo191145

Re: Anyone tried the PMC primers?

Post by jo191145 »

To the best of my knowledge PMC are now marketed by Wolf. Both are what are commonly called "Russian" primers.

First off use the magnum version. The standard Russian primer reportedly has a very thin cup not suitable for high pressures. I do not know this as a fact myself. Never tried the standards. If standard is all you can find try em just be cautious.

The magnums will handle anything you care to throw at them. Toughest dang primer I've yet seen. Maybe to tough. Never judge chamber pressure by the primer when using Russian mags. :lol:

Besides primer cup the brissance between the standard and magnum is reportedly the same.
I've found the mags do not handle ball powders as well as American mag primers. They're a fairly mild primer suitable more for modern extruded powders.

With ball powders the russians will shoot well with the milder loads but accuracy declines as you add more powder. YMMV

I've been trying out ball powders lately. Haven't tried enough extruded with the rusky's to give an overall opinion.

Ruskys must be seated extra hard. The anvil is set higher than the cup. You can feel them bottom out and go just a tad deeper as the anvil is set in. Failure to do this MAY result in fail to fires in some guns.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
long range dogr
.204 Ruger Guns: remington vls

Re: Anyone tried the PMC primers?

Post by long range dogr »

Thanks for the info. I'm gonna give em a try.