SAVAGE 25 BUSHNELL 3200 TACTACAL

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
doug
.204 Ruger Guns: savage model 25

SAVAGE 25 BUSHNELL 3200 TACTACAL

Post by doug »

Hey guys; new member here. Been reading your forum for about a month now & ready to give it a go. Just purchased my first 204 recently. A Savage M25 Thumbhole Lightweight Varmiter. Been reading about the pros & cons here but personally i like the rifle! Anyway , I put a CABALAS TACTICAL 6x18x40 w/interchangable turrets on it. BIG mistake. Sent it back today. Clarity was not there at 25yds not alone 100yds. Just ordered a BUSHNELL 5x15x40 ELITE TACTICAL. I like this power range because i shoot more paper than varmits. Our range is range is 300yds with sand hills on both sides & the heat mirage is too bad for high magnification. I do plan on shooting a few foxes & groundhogs for that is about all we have for varmits here on the eastern shore of MARYLAND. Now back to the scope! I called BUSHNELL today to see if they could change the retical to a duplex. I KNOW BUT I JUST CANT FIGURE OUT ALL THIS MIL-DOT BUSSNESS !!!! They said they could on the 3200 series for 55.00.My question is then once i work up a accurate load cant i take my 100yd sight in & then use the target turrets to dial in for 200-300 ect. yards? Just count how many clicks it takes to move point of impact up? Thanks for your input . Got a lot more questions!!!!!!!!!!
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Re: SAVAGE 25 BUSHNELL 3200 TACTACAL

Post by acloco »

Yes, definitely. Stay with the mildots, shoot it a bit, then come back with questions. Honest....put the $55 towards brass/bullets/powder/ammo or take the wife/GF out for dinner "just because snookums". :)
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: SAVAGE 25 BUSHNELL 3200 TACTACAL

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Doug: Good advice from acloco, follow it, Grasshopper. The new scope that's coming is a good one, and I'd also suggest shooting it for a while and see where your impact points at various ranges intersect with the Mildots. Once you shoot it a bit and get used to it, you'll probably not want to back to Duplex, believe me.

For some additional insight on shooting at various ranges with those turrets, here's an old post of mine that you may find interesting on the subject:

http://www.204ruger.com/forum/viewtopic ... e+up+chart

Good luck with the new rifle!
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails