Baged a Bobcat!

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Baged a Bobcat!

Post by Ryan S Albright »

Its been real warm and dry down here in So Cal. I've been waiting for the moon to change phases because its been so bright it has made it hard to hunt at night finely its pitch black out in the early evening. I made a stand not far from the house it was 6:30 pm and very dark. I started calling with the Johny Stewart prey master after about 10 minutes of on and off calling I decided to use the Cass electronic caller just as I hit the jack rabbit call I spotted a Bobcat coming in as I set the caller down it triggered the coyote group howl which started to blast out of the cab of my Xterra. As I picked up the rifle to fire I had the safety on the Ruger all the way engaged in the bolt which I usually don't do while I fought to release it and bring it on target I touched it off early and missed the cat jumped and ran I new it would stop and when it did I was on it right in the eye with no exit just a cracked skull Oh well!ImageImageImageAs you can see it is T shirt weather down here. 70 degrees an night.
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Re: Baged a Bobcat!

Post by Captqc »

Ryan, nice looking cat! Looks like you are keeping busy. We are sitting around cleaning our rifles for next spring! Thanks for posting, I love this stuff! Gary
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

CONGRATULATIONS RYAN!!! It was very sporting of you to give that bobcat a warning shot before blinding it in one eye!!! :wink: :wink: Thanks for the report and the photos.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
steve
.204 Ruger Guns: rem 204 lvsf

Post by steve »

nice looking kitty. what did you hit him in the eye with the 17 or 204?
Ryan S Albright

I hit him with the 32gr Vmax 204. No exit wound amazing! I was in a hurry because I had missed I guess I was just drawn to the glow of the eye. I just missed a coyote this morning. I can't believe it I had locked the safety down in the bolt again while I was trying to fight a water bottle out of one of those plastic bags when I turned around there was the coyote about 70yrds out. Again I was trying to release the safety out of the bolt. I could have sworn that I was more calm this time and shot for the heart. When I went forward with camera in hand there was nothing. I guess its just the start of the season I am a little out of practice.
steve
.204 Ruger Guns: rem 204 lvsf

Post by steve »

I cant shoot straight this year either. I have missed several dogs hopefully that will change.How many cats have you seen this year?Im still at zero.
Ryan S Albright

I've only seen the one but I see there tracks every where. I ether use a sand bag to shoot off or the pole cat shooting sticks I really like the ones that snap on to a little device that installs on the stud that your sling attaches to. I have it installed on all my rifles. Its a great tool. I find the coyotes to be much harder to hunt than the bobcats as coyotes bug out real fast and are a lot more suspicious.