Need help with reduced loads, barrels, and head space gages.

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
kirbymagnum

Need help with reduced loads, barrels, and head space gages.

Post by kirbymagnum »

I am looking for a new barrel for my 204 Ruger, I have narrowed it down between Krieger and Pac-Nor. My primary bullet is the 39 BK and 45 soft point how ever I'm interested in using reduced loads with the 32 V-MAX. Which barrel would you recommend? What twist? How many groves? I was thinking either 1-10 or 1-11 twist.

I am interested in using reduced loads in my 204 Ruger with velocities around 2400-3000 with the 32 V-MAX for short range work. I have searched the forum and could not find a subject on this. Is there any safe reduced loads for the 204 Ruger?

I have fired my cases around 8 times and I think its time I invest in a head space gage and I'm not sure what I should buy. I will also be using this for my .243 Winchester. I will be buying the head space tools from Sinclair since I'm buying a jewell trigger from there. Is this what I should be buying?

http://www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/cat ... type=store

Thanks for the help.
kirbymagnum

Re: Need help with reduced loads, barrels, and head space gages.

Post by kirbymagnum »

I called Sinclair and they helped me with the head space gage and I'm sure that I can't go wrong with either barrel I was just looking for some advise. I am still looking for reduced loads if anyone cares to point me in the right direction or let me know if it is not possible.
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Re: Need help with reduced loads, barrels, and head space gages.

Post by glenn asher »

For the size of the bore, the .204 case has quite a large capacity, and reducing loads is probably not a good idea. It might be better to use a faster-burning powder and full pressure loads (they won't generate the speeds of the slower powders at like pressures), but this gives me the willies, as it's possible to double charge a case that way. I'd have no idea on which powder to start with, I know Blue Dot has been used in .223, but I know a guy who blew up a .17 Remington using the stuff, too, eye surgery was the result. :eek: All in all, the whole thing makes me cringe. Calhoon, of .19 caliber fame, is a fan of the concept, and I'm happy for him, but I ain't gonna do it. If I were, I'd probably monkey around with H4198 or the same number with the IMR powder, and maybe one of the 4227s. NOT Blue Dot.

As far as the barrel goes, I'd personally choose a 1-11" twist, 3 groove barrel from PacNor, it's on my wish list, in fact.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!