Poisoned Prairie Dog fields - DON'T give up!

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Poisoned Prairie Dog fields - DON'T give up!

Post by acloco »

I had to travel north to a small town and the road that we take just happens to be the same highway that leads us to one of our prairie dog honey holes. We decided to take a couple rifles along and at least stop to see how the population was.

Earlier this spring, the ownders paid somebody big bucks (10 grand for 5 sections of poisoining).

We were happily surprised to find a VERY good population nested in this section of land. The population was at least 80-85% of what it was last year.

We "knew" there would not be much shooting and my partner only brought along a limited supply of handloads. Luckily, I had 500 rounds with me, but only used 100. Shots were 50 feet to 450 yards. The majority of the shots were in the 200-350 range.

The 204 flat tears up large prairie dogs. One of the last shots of the day brought a 6 foot space shot with a slow helicopter spin thrown in for good measure...at 325 yards.

So, don't give up....and check back once in a while.
Lee C.

Re: Poisoned Prairie Dog fields - DON'T give up!

Post by Lee C. »

It sounds like you guys had a good time any ways acloco. And i'm sure the land owner was happy you took out a few more pdogs.
skb2706

Re: Poisoned Prairie Dog fields - DON'T give up!

Post by skb2706 »

I know of two people, very well, whose 'lot in life' is poisoning pds on farm/cattle properties. They will both tell you that even the best poisoning campaign will only get between 80 and 85 % of the dogs. Rarely does anyone who does this job do it the "best". If you consider their ability to pro-create it doesn't take many to make many.