1/11 twist barrel

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: 1/11 twist barrel

Post by Rick in Oregon »

sakofan: Not sure if the 'match' chamber they list on their website is the same as the one I worked up....doubt it. When I spec'd mine, I sent them a CAD drawing of the chamber I wanted.

If you plan to order a custom reamer, I suggest you call PTG and discuss particulars with them, as theres alot of variables to consider.

In regard to shooting factory ammo in this custom chamber, refer to BCB's post above in this regard, as his post is spot-on. The short version is that because of almost zero freebore (only .015") in my chamber, factory ammo will generate much higher pressure because of the lack of excessive freebore that's present in a SAMMI chamber (to the tune of .100"!).

Seriously, if you plan to go to the trouble of designing and ordering a custom barrel and reamer, do all your homework first, call and discuss what you expect with the maker. I usually use PTG, as both PN and them are close to each other, both produce top quality tooling/barrels and are right here in Oregon, not far from me. Dave Kiff at PTG is very knowledgeable, and can answer all your questions.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

sakofan
.204 Ruger Guns: remington varmit sf

Re: 1/11 twist barrel

Post by sakofan »

Thanks again Rick.
I always take my time and check everything out before ordering anything as mistakes can be expensive.