Powder query

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
rayfromtx

Re: Powder query

Post by rayfromtx »

jo191145-
Good info with one exception. There is no difference between the federal 205 and the 205m. All they do is make a careful inspection to confirm that there is an anvil in the 205m to insure that there will be no misfires during a match. Calhoun's list shows a thinner cup thickness for the federal 200 primer and that may have been the source of the confusion. The cci br primers are a different construction than the non br primers.

Thanks for your consistently good advice on this forum.
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

Ray

I remember a post on this forum by someone claiming to have inside information to that extent. I'll bet thats you :wink:
Couldn't remember which primer manufacturer they were referring too though.
I just performed a little comparison between the two without actually dissecting them. Dissecting primers is not high on my list of fun things to do. I prefer to keep my digits and orbs as is :lol:

Looks like your right. Visually exactly the same and the side walls measured .017 on both.
The thin .017 reading could be from not actually being able to get my calipers down deep enough or maybe its thinned as its punched.
Once again, I'll bet you know.
Either way they appear to be the same as you said.
Thanks for the correction. You just upped the value of my standard Fed 205's for me.

So, when I was severely cratering what I thought was a thin wall primer I was actually.... :chin: :doh: :eek:

Adam

I wouldn't give up on H-4895 yet but if you want to pick up a 1 lb of Benchmark while shopping for primers feel free.
It works good enough for me that I buy it in a 8 lb jug. Shoots light pills in my 6BR real well too.
Should be good for your short tube with the 32's.
BM will not push the 40's as fast though. Not by the book data anyway. :devil:

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
rayfromtx

Post by rayfromtx »

No inside info, just what I was told by Ron Hoehn, Lester Bruno, and the guy from powder valley, along with others.
Cheers
Ray