Bull Elk - Use Enough Gun!

Talk about North American big game hunting.
gwglave
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 VLS, Howa 1500 SSHB

Re: Bull Elk - Use Enough Gun!

Post by gwglave »

I agree.....great discussion. I converted to a .338 Win Mag for elk 30 years ago and never looked back.
I prefer to shoot the Nosler 225 gr Partition altho I have killed several elk with the 210 gr Partition. The
225 has a bit higher BC and shoots very well in my Sako .338.

Besides the obvious lesson learned by RIO's nephew, it is just as important that the animal was harvested
and ended up in someones freezer. (However, I'm sure the nephew wishes it would have been his freezer!)

Rick, thanks for sharing with us.
Rgds, Gerry
NRA Life Member
OHA, VHA, OSSA, SCI
Guy M

Re: Bull Elk - Use Enough Gun!

Post by Guy M »

This deer hunter was a little intimidated by the prospect of possibly shooting a 700+ pound animal when I went elk hunting.

Chose my 7mm Rem mag, but loaded it up with those long & deadly 175 grain Nosler Partitions at about 2930 fps. Warm load. :D The Nosler worked just fine and I took a dandy Wyoming 6x6 bull elk! The bullet penetrated completely, and dropped the bull quickly. I think the big .338's and other big cartridges make a lot of sense, but if a fellow is using a smaller cartridge, like my 7mm Rem mag, at least use excellent deep-penetrating bullets and place your shot well.

Regards, Guy