Cleaning the 204

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Motoshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka

Cleaning the 204

Post by Motoshooter »

Hello

I have a Boresnake for my 204 but I guess its not the perfect cleaning method, right?

What cleaning rod/kit do you guys use? Guess I have to order one soon before I shoot more.
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Re: Cleaning the 204

Post by futuretrades »

I use a Sinclair universal bore guide. I can use it on 20VT, 204, and my 223. I just change the tip. Also I am partial to the Dewy rods in specific calibers. Check with Brad on this site, I'm sure he can fix you up with good quality bore guide and rod. You might also look at Sinclair Int'l, or any of the other suppliers in the business.
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

Same here. Bore guide, one piece rod and a proper jag. If you get a rod from CRT, be sure and order at least one bag of his patches. Best I have ever used.
Motoshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka

Post by Motoshooter »

Can I look these up/order on the web?
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

Yep, Custom Reloading Tools (CRT) is one of the site sponsors. Look at the top of this page, link is in a red, white and blue box. Brad, the owner, is just a super guy to work with. When you go to his site, be sure to check out the funnels, range trays and reloading block that he manufactures. Exceptional craftsmanship at very fair prices.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

moto: Another BIG + 1 for CRT's line of tools and bench accessories. Superlative quality at a working man's price.

As Ramos said, be sure to check out Brad's powder funnels with interchangeable caliber inserts...really sweet. As an example of one of his offerings, here's my CRT Range Tray on my bench during a recent rat shoot here. Those are 20 Vartarg cases being treated to gentle handling in the padded tray:

I think most members here can vouch for the quality of CRT's lineup....good stuff. Keep that 204 clean properly, and you'll be amazed at the performance and accuracy. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

Also I use Wipe Out foaming cleaner. I never use a brush anymore as the wipe out gets all the copper and powder residue put with no scrubbing.
K = ½mv2
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

I suggest a one piece carbon fiber cleaning rod and a bore guide. The carbon fiber rods will not harm your barrels. I use Tipton cleaning rods and Mike Lucas bore guides. Be sure to get a cleaning rod that is long enough to deal with the bore guide, as it takes extra length. The bore guides are a little spendy but are pretty well custom made for your rifle, phone 503- 356-0282. I too use Wipe Out to clean my rifles. Montana Xtreme copper cleaner, 50 BMG is very good as well. I finish all my guns off with Eezox. Get some good cleaning jags, get a 17 caliber jag as well. Some of the cleaning patches can be thick so a 17 is helpful to have.
Please, no Sidewinder today!