32 grain vs 39 grain recoil

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Loki_762
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Encore rifle

32 grain vs 39 grain recoil

Post by Loki_762 »

I have been shooting the 39 grain Blitzkings for as long as I have had my .204, and have been very happy with their accuracy and performance on ground squirrels. However, I have noticed that at shorter ranges and/or higher magnification, sometimes my rifle jumps just enough to keep me from seeing all of the glorious carnage that occurs on impact. I have also noticed that when I am shooting in rocky areas that the 39 grainers kick up a lot of dust after blowing through the squirrel, making it difficult to tell if it was a solid hit or a total miss. While these are fairly minor complaints given how well the round performs otherwise, I am wondering if using the lighter bullet might minimize either one or both of these issues. Will I see my hits better if I switch to the lighter bullet? I suppose the obvious answer is to try it and find out, but if anyone out there happens to have any experience, your advice would surely be appreciated!
Thank you,
Chris
Never argue with an idiot - first they bring you to their level, then they beat you with experience.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: 32 grain vs 39 grain recoil

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Loki: The answer is "yes". As the Laws of Physics are strictly enforced, you will indeed experience less recoil and rifle jump by using a lighter bullet. The less mass of ejecta will result in lower recoil forces, all other things being equal.

I shoot four 204's, one is an 11-twist and all are used for both squirrels and rock chucks. Unless the wind is howling or the range being shot is more than 400 yards, I only shoot the 32's and can see all my hits/misses through the scope in each rifle. I save the 39/40's for longer ranges and windy conditions which is where the 11-twist really shines. All mine are HB's shot off the bench and all the 'glorious action' is seen every time. "Jump Skippy, jump!" :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

The weight of the rifle makes a lot difference, as far as recoil felt or noticed. My Howa, fully dressed, to make skippy "dance" weighs in at just over 10 1/2 lbs. I do shoot both the 39's and the 32's and I do see most of my hits thru the scope. Never really noticed a difference between the 2 as far as recoil goes. That being said, I cannot argue with the law of Physics.
Rick in Oregon wrote:Loki: The answer is "yes". As the Laws of Physics are strictly enforced, you will indeed experience less recoil and rifle jump by using a lighter bullet. The less mass of ejecta will result in lower recoil forces, all other things being equal.

I started shooting as soon as I could manage a shotgun. I used to go thru any wheres between 4 to 7 cases of ammo a year, for about 30 yrs. For any one who is not familiar with case quantities of shotgun ammo, that is 25 rds per box and 20 boxes per case. This means I learned to "jerk" the trigger. Never made a difference with said shotgun. I have had to un-train my brain for trigger control, to squeeze the trigger. What I am getting at here is concentration on shooting form and trigger control. I know for myself, when I feel very comfortable behind the scope, I do see my hits and a lot of my hits even when behind my 223.
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Loki_762
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Encore rifle

Post by Loki_762 »

The weight of the rifle makes a lot difference, as far as recoil felt or noticed. My Howa, fully dressed, to make skippy "dance" weighs in at just over 10 1/2 lbs. I do shoot both the 39's and the 32's and I do see most of my hits thru the scope.
I am shooting a T/C Encore, and although it has a heavy barrel, I think the lack of a bolt action or magazine reduces its weight a bit. The recoil isn't terrible, and I do see many of the shots through the scope. I just thought that perhaps with the lighter bullets I might see more of them. I am planning on picking up a box of 32 grainers to try out in the not too distant future.
Thanks for the replies,
Chris
Never argue with an idiot - first they bring you to their level, then they beat you with experience.
bazz
.204 Ruger Guns: tikka

Post by bazz »

there will be no difference in recoil as rick exsplanes the maths how ever when the 32 travels faster (enter newtons law) than the 39 they equal them selves out