Rem 700 SA in .223 to 2-VT

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Rem 700 SA in .223 to 2-VT

Post by Bill K »

Still working on rebarrel of my one SA Rem 700 from .223 to 20VT.. Who here has done this? Have you had problems with the feeding out of the original magazine well, or do you need to add a block or such to shorten it up? Maybe Rick, you always have good info and experience, I believe.. Thank you for any info. Planning on this being a winter project via pacnor. Guess I could talk with them also, but thought I would start here. Bill K :)
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Rem 700 SA in .223 to 2-VT

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Bill - The best donor M700's for conversion to 20VT is best done with a rifle originally chambered in a FB caliber. The factory ejector/extractor are located differently in the boltface than the 223 and are set up to feed and eject the shorter FB case properly.

There's a thread here a ways back that has pics showing the different ejector relationship between a M700 223 boltface alongside a 221FB (or17FB) boltface. It has also been discussed at length w/pics over on Saubier.

A M700 originally chambered in 223 will certainly shoot okay when converted to 20VT, but feeding or good ejection may be issues. It's something to check in addition to the FB mag block. One fix I've seen to remedy this, is to have a Sako or M16 extractor installed in the M700 bolt to cure the extraction issue.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Thank you Rick. That is what I was after. Solid info.. I will puruse the other posts (guess I have missed them) and obtain for info.. Thank you again. I thought a better action would be a donor FB action. But I have a extra Rem 223 s/a and just thought I would use it, rather than look or buy another action. Bill K
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

Bill,

The bolt face is different. The size and depth of the bolt face is the same but the extractor on the 17-Fireball bolt has been relocated up near the top (12:00) of the bolt vice off to the side for the 223/204. I've read this was done because Remington was having ejection problems with the shorter case. I tested some 221 Fireball brass in/out of my 204 Ruger several times and when the case cleared the chamber it either separated from bolt and stayed either part way in the chamber or it ended on top of the next round in the magazine. When performing the same test with my 17-Fireball bolt, I did-not have this issue. Unfortunately, Remington doesn't sell bolts separately.

Another difference is not only the location but the shape of the extractor has a slightly different shape. Along with that, the ejector edge of the two are different. One is more radius and the other is more square. And last, on the FWD edge of the bolt lugs (side facing the chamber) there is a vertical line with a bend radius that matches the curvature of the bolt head on each lug. Dunno' what they're for. Here is a thread from another site that shows the differences.

http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewtop ... 8&start=10

Loading block, follower and spring are different. Fortunately, these can be purchased thru Remington and will be needed for feeding if used as a repeater.

The Remington 700 17-Fireball feed ramp is different from my 204's. Whether or not a STD SA will function reliably as a repeater w/o this mod is unknown to me. So if you want a 20vt repeater then a 17-Fireball donor action may be needed. Although they're out there, Remington discontinued them earlier this year. Be weary because some online retailers have jacked the price up on them because of this.

HTH,

Jim
SShooterZ
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint - Savage 12 w/ Custom PacNor 1:11

Post by SShooterZ »

Not much to add other than having done both a .223 M700 and a .17FB M7 build, the M7 which was originally a fireball feeds and extracts my .20VT cases perfectly. I had Bob Green put a Sako extractor on my M700 build as it is now a .17FB and it extracts perfectly but I have not thoroughly tested the feeding.
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Thanks to all of you for your information. I will be doing a lot a checking and maybe making another decision or waiting for another action. I probably should just save the pennies and buy a cooper.. I know more than one will say "YES" on that one. Bill K
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

Bill, thats what I did. No shame in it.
K = ½mv2
Jim White

Post by Jim White »

Bill,

I opted for the repeater so that is why I went with a Remington 17 FB (still waiting on my barrel though). If you don't mind it being a single shot, absolutely, a Cooper would be the best route. My 221 Fireball case didn’t eject all that great but to be fair, I feel I should try that again when I get the 20VT all but together utilizing the correct magazine box and follower.
Jim White

Post by Jim White »

SShooterZ wrote:Not much to add other than having done both a .223 M700 and a .17FB M7 build, the M7 which was originally a fireball feeds and extracts my .20VT cases perfectly. I had Bob Green put a Sako extractor on my M700 build as it is now a .17FB and it extracts perfectly but I have not thoroughly tested the feeding.
I would be real interested in knowing how the feeding works because I have a spare 17 FB bolt and a action needing a rebarrel and having two 20vt rifles sounds just dandy to me.