howa AOL AND 39GRN B/K

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
mark-taffy
.204 Ruger Guns: howa 1500 varmint

howa AOL AND 39GRN B/K

Post by mark-taffy »

HI
just a quicky question i have a howa 204r and using the 39 grn b/k just wondering what AOL you guys are using and find best , i have just put the mag conversion on and my max mag length is 2.320"
many thanks mark
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Re: howa AOL AND 39GRN B/K

Post by futuretrades »

AOL in any rifle should be determined with a comparator! When a reamer is used to cut the chamber in the barrel. there is always the slightest bit of wear on the reamer. Thus a chamber cut with a reamer that has been used a few times will not be the same exact dimensions as a chamber cut the the same reamer when brand new. So my Howa in 204r, will probably not like the same AOL as your Howa. There is a lot of variables involved to get that Howa to shoot the best. IMHO, that Howa will shoot little tiny groups when you find that sweet spot. Try RE10x and Benchmark powders, or even H4895 to start. If you go to the Load Data above, you will find suggested loads to start off with, and look for some of the favorite loads in this forum. Also, your mag conversion will not make any difference in the AOL that your rifle shoots or likes the best.
Welcome to the wonderful world of the 204R!
HTH
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.