Which 204 rifle ?

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Which 204 rifle ?

Post by Bill K »

Between a Rem 700 and the Savage walkabout vaminter, which would you go with? Rem at $682.00 Savage at 587.00. Just wondering what most of you think. I sort of favor the Rem,but know Savage is putting out a good rifle. Bill K :)
Hedge
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 FLV

Re: Which 204 rifle ?

Post by Hedge »

Savage.
I have a Mod 12 FCV and love it. A bit heavy for walkabout but, there are other models. Barrel swap is easy and you can do it yourself. Bolt face can be changed if you decide to go to another short action caliber.
Savage 12 FCV .204 Ruger
Viper PST FFP 4-16x50

ImageImage
======
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" Sigmund Freud.
wirelessguy2005
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom 20 SCC, Savage LRPV 20 Nitro , Howa 1500 204 Ruger

Post by wirelessguy2005 »

not to make your decision any more difficult but have you looked at the CZ rifles? If not i highly recommend them. Out of the box they are the most accurate production rifles i have ever owned. I like the Savage rifles as well, but CZ beats them in numerous area's. Just my 2 cents.
247sniper
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom .204 Ruger !

Post by 247sniper »

Yes I agree with wirelessguy, for out of the box accuracy, you cant really beat them, hence why I have alway had CZ's.

Well up until I just gone the custom route with my .204 :D

What I would say about the Remmy is that there is a wide range of parts and accessiesy easy avalible to get hold off if you want to upgrqade, Just something to bare in mind mate.

Let us know which way you go fella ;-)

Steve.
bow shot
.204 Ruger Guns: Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter
Location: Central NY: infested with liberal wack-jobs and their damage

Post by bow shot »

Though I've had the Savage (12 VLP) and it was a fantastic tack-driver with handloads... If I do another bolt in .204 it will be a CZ. The older I get, the more I appreciate the Mauser action rifles.
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

247sniper wrote:What I would say about the Remmy is that there is a wide range of parts and accessiesy easy avalible to get hold off if you want to upgrqade, Just something to bare in mind mate.
That's certainly true about the wide range of parts and accessories for the Remington. In my personal opinion, a person can quickly sink more money into upgrading a stock rifle than they'd spend buying something like a Cooper, Kimber or Sako that comes out of the box with the goodies already there. The latter will also be worth a lot more than an upgraded Remington, if that's important to the end user.

On the other hand, some people like to build their own or put together something unique. We all have different motivations, so we choose what makes us smile and enjoy the ride.
bow shot
.204 Ruger Guns: Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter
Location: Central NY: infested with liberal wack-jobs and their damage

Post by bow shot »

Mike, you've got a great point there. You can spend a lot of cash/time (and theyare about equal to me...) making a stock rifle "into" something, even just working up a handload that will do well, and be about even with what you'd pay if you just bought a custom rig, Cooper, etc. But then again, sometimes you get something stock that shoots anything well. But that'll be a high dollar gamble on its own...

Either way, I like it, LOL!!