New varmint rifle

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
matt_3479
.204 Ruger Guns: none

New varmint rifle

Post by matt_3479 »

Pkay so first post here so be nice :P. Okay so where I hunt, the wind is generally between 2-5 mph and the worst day we have had around here in a long time was at 11 mph. Now the exact area I hunt is surrounded by bush, and a long thing field. So wind has never been an issue for me. For the real bad days I have a 243. Win shooting 80 grain bullets into less then 1/2" at 100 yards. I want something to fill the gap between the 22LR and the 243. Win. It will be used for ground hogs, rabbits, crows, coons, foxes and coyotes. I am strongly leaning towards a 204. Ruger because I have always wanted one for some odd reason. I'm not a fan of the 223 Remington and I do know it's a magnificent cartridge, just don't want one. So the toss up is between the 22-250 and the 204. Ruger and what some opinions. I think it will be a savage 11 or 16 in a 204 ruger. They both will have a 22" barrel which will decrease both rounds a bit. Thank you
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Re: New varmint rifle

Post by RowdyYates »

Welcome aboard, Matt. I have the same opinion of the .223, and have no desire to own that cal. As the owner of both .22-250 and .204s, I'd recommend the .204. A little less energy @ longer ranges, but just as flat and even a little less wind drift; and - the best part - you can see your hits (or misses) through the scope. Not a whole lot, but enough bullet types/brands out there one would consider reasonable for handloaders; and, if one shoots it, the list of loaded ammo options out there - which is less $ than the '250 - is getting a little longer (Hunting Shack, Nosler e.g.)
If I were hunting strictly large coyotes at long ranges, would go with a .22-250; otherwise it'd be .204 and not look back.
sharptailhunter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12FV

Re: New varmint rifle

Post by sharptailhunter »

I too went with the .204 just because round here it seems everyone either has a .223 or a .22-250. I have thoroughly enjoyed my .204. I don't think you'd ever regret getting one in the guns you mentioned. Grab one and go have fun!