Looking for info

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
fishy
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye

Looking for info

Post by fishy »

I am looking at working up some loads for my 204 with some w748 and 32 gr. V maxs and 32 nosler bt. The problem I am having is I cant seem to find any load info for that powder and bullet combo. I was wondering if any of you guys had some info in these combo's or if it is something I should not worry about and keep with what I have been doing? I just was given a large quantity of this powder through a friends father who passed and I have never really had any need for it and was thinking the 204 might be a good place to use it. I am also loading for a 223 with this powder also so if it is something that isn't worth trying not a huge deal. Thanks for any info you guys might have.
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Re: Looking for info

Post by Hotshot »

748 is pretty close to H335. I used them both for 223 in the past. Start a little below recommended max for 335 and it should work out for you.
DoubleUp
.204 Ruger Guns: 204 Ruger

Post by DoubleUp »

Hornady load data for W748, see this link.

http://www.rugerhunting.com/204_data_hornady.php

I have some load data that has worked for me with the 32vmax and 748. These are from a Savage 16 WW with 22 inch barrel.

28g=3,775 fps. Groups at 100 yds from .121 to .421 using Rem. 7.5 primer and Win brass seated at coal 2.337.
28.5=3,850 fps. Groups not good at 1.4 inches same primer, brass, coal.
29=3,900 fps. Groups about .5 same primer, brass, coal.
29.6=4,000 fps. Groups at .8 same primer, brass, coal.
fishy

Post by fishy »

Thanks guys. Just the info I had been looking for. Now just to find the time to work some loads up and do some testing.
fishy

Post by fishy »

I am going to do some testing this weekend (hopefully). I just got finished up working up some loads with the data that doubleup provided here for the 32 gr. V max's. I also found some info posted back in July that I also found in this website. I will post my results when testing is done. Once again, thanks for the info and the great website you guys have here. This place is a wealth of information on the 204. :shock: :eek:
fishy

Post by fishy »

Finally made it out to the range at the farm today to do some testing/shooting. The results weren't the greatest, but there is some promise in a couple of the loads. Here's a few pics of the setup and the target
the target
from the bench
The bench
looking down the barrel
first set
second set

The gun is a Ruger M77 Hawkeye topped with a Leupold 4-12x40. For the most part, the winds where less than 5mph and the temp was in the mid 40's. It was an awesome day to be out shooting.
fishy

Post by fishy »

Just so ya know also, I am one of those guys that always forgets one thing whenever I do anything. Today I for got my targets at home and had to make my own when I got there. :wall: Just for a reference, I used the lid off a Pepsi bottle to make the circles on the cardboard target so you can get a feeling for the size of the groups. I am going to analyze the target a bit better tonight and come up with a load for the two bullets and powder tested. Glancing at the looks of it though I may just scap it and start with a different powder.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Fishy - what is your backstop made out of?

Of note, railroad ties and the like,.....unfortunately, provide a great problem with shooting into them. If you have not yet, you will have a bullet come back at you. They have a soft exterior, but, generally, are super hard interior (usually oak).

I know there is a LOT of ranges out there with similar backstops. 300 yard and further out, they are ok.

Have seen several 7 mm and 30 cal NON full metal jackets come flying back. 204 is fast enough, it just might as well.
fishy

Post by fishy »

They are actually 2x6 and 2x8's nailed to creasote (sp) fence posts. Everything used is pine. To be quite honest with ya I haven't heard that before either. We have been considering changing the backstop anyways, this would just give us another reason to. We have been doing it this way for about 10 years without a problem though. It has become a pain in the rear having to change out 2x6's every couple months though. Thanks for the hint of advise.

Just out of curiosity what type of benches to you guys shoot off of when you are load testing? The setup I was using today wasnt all that stable and I think some of the large groups are an effect of that. Some might be the shooter as well :x . I also think the trigger in this gun sucks, which also might be a part of it.

Acloco just a ? for ya. What part of NE are ya from? I'm near Kearney.
Trent
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varminter

Post by Trent »

If I don't have a super stable bench for load testing then I get down in the prone position with a bipod or a front rest. Without being incredibly stable I don't feel like I am learning anything from my test loads.
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

also if you dont like your trigger change it immediately. It made a big difference in my group size. Before you go crazy with your loads get a rock solid rest and get a good trigger. You will be amazed. :D I just built a rock solid shooting bench that I can leave at my range behind my house. It only took me 2 hrs. Should have done it years ago. I'll post a pic of it tomorrow.
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Fishy: As mentioned, looking at your targets and seeing "yank", makes me think you need to either re-adjust or replace that trigger. "Yank" should not be in the same sentence as "trigger".... :D

I've heard about the backstop issue in the past also. Never had it happen personally, like to keep it that way, but the possiblity IS out there.

You should be able to shoot decent groups from the setup you posted. I'm thinking a different powder with that trigger adjust may put you where you want to be. Give both RL10X and Benchmark a try; I've never had decent results with W748 in anything except my 223 and 223AI and 50gr bullets.

This is the portable setup I use for field rats (squirrels and PD's), plus do all my load workup from. It's not concrete, but enables me to shoot as good as I'm able, but I know fully I'm not as 'accurate' as the rifle is capable of being.

Overall view:

As an example, this group was shot after some barrel work on one of my 204's, and shot from my BR Pivot Lite, probably about as stable as your setup:

You might also consider some wind flags at your range to try to duplicate shot conditions from shot to shot. Even a survey stake with marking ribbon is better than nothing. Three flags work well, one at the bench, one mid-way to the target, and one at the target. Try a different powder with your bullet of choice, just vary the seating depth and check it on paper. Once it all comes together, you'll feel like the rifle is an extension of your body. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

fishy

Post by fishy »

I agree Rick that "Yank" should not be used in the any sentence with trigger, but that one was all me. I would like to have some trigger work done to this gun. It is probable the one rifle that I own that will get the most use. I should check it but I dont even know what the trigger pull is on it. The one thing I can tell ya though is that it is a lot stiffer than my other rifles.

On another note, I think there are 2 different groups i will give another try to before I switch powders. One is the 32 gr Nolser BT with 28.9 gr W748 (I know its the group I Yanked one but it shows the most potential). The other is the 32gr Vmax with 28.4 W748. If they dont do the same or better I will start over from scratch with a different powder (which I will probable do anyways).

Just so you all know, this is the first gun that I have tried loading for accuracy. I have been loading for close to 10 years and never really thought about the science to it. I just loaded up some rounds with X amount of powder, went out and shot, and if they were close it was good enough for me. Learning about the 204 in the last 6 months has changed my way of thinking on what you should be doing when you reload. So i guess what I am telling you is I am a novice when it comes to this so dont mind the dumb questions that I might ask. :lol:
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Fishy: There's no such thing as dumb questions.....only dumb answers. We're all rookies at everything at one time or another. You're on the right track and in the right place. Keep workin' it bud, it'll come together; the fact that you're willing to try something else indicates you will most likely see improvement the more you shoot your rifle.

If you vary anything in regard to your load, only change one variable at a time, i.e. charge weight or bullet seating depth. Otherwise you'll be chasing your tail.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

You have some pretty decent goups there with a flyier. Unless you can explain the flier (jerk, barrel movement, eyes blinked, wind...) mark that piece of brass and put it aside. Brass I've purchased recently (last couple of years (WIN & REM) just isn't as consistent as it has been in times past and the difference in neck tension (due to neck thickness) has been driving me bonkers at times.

Sometimes no matter what, a powder/bullet combo may not work in a given rifle.