First time using dry lube

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

First time using dry lube

Post by ryutzy »

I bought some Imperial Dry Neck Lube after reading the outstanding reviews people are giving this product. I also bought Imperial Case wax. Does anyone happen to be using this product? I was not impressed by their dry neck lube and was wondering if im using the product wrong? I shook the can well before I used it to mix the contents well. I then dipped the case up to the shoulder and gave it a few twists. I then proceeded to neck size. The friction that I am encountering in my press is way higher than I feel it should be. The friction and force that I need to use is at least 3 times more than I use when using Hornadys One Shot case Lube. Hornady's case lube makes sizing and FL sizing feel like butter going through my press and it's an easy cleanup. Imperial is also easy cleanup but I am concerned about the friction in my neck die as well as the force on the case. Should I expect this much friction with dry lube? With the Imperial Product they say a little goes a long way, so I tried a little and I tried what I thought was a lot and it made no difference.
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Re: First time using dry lube

Post by Joe O »

With Imperial wax a little does go a long way.That's why more, didn't make any difference.I use it for body and shoulder sizing.I tried the Imperial case neck lube,with questionable results.Motor Mica powder,with some #9 shot in a container,seems to work better,and you can see just how far your sizing the neck, to the shoulder.I also use Hornady's one shot case lube,but seldom, since I started using the wax.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

Never tried the dry-lube though I have thought about it. I use the Imperial Wax for neck sizing and Hornady Case lube when full-length resizing.

HTH,
ryutzy

Post by ryutzy »

Joe O I have not tried the case wax yet. Looking at the can I have no doubts it should work well. What I was having problems with was the dry neck lube. I could see that #9 shot may work better with the mica powder, but I'll probably just use hornady's lube for neck sizing. I'm glad I wasnt the only one who was questioning the mica powder. I'll use the case lube when it comes time to resize and see how I like it. Thanks for your input guys!!
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Clean your dies thoroughly, then try the dry neck lube again.

I only use the dry neck lube when I am using a bushing neck die as well.

Depending on the powder you use, you might have to brush the inside of the case necks as well, some powder is dirtier than others.
ryutzy

Post by ryutzy »

The dies that I was using are still almost new so dirt shouldn't be a problem, but I can check. I do clean the inside of the neck, however this is brandnew brass that I was neck sizing so no dirt there either. I'm using a Redding neck sizer, but it is not bushing style.
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

I started using the Imperial dry lube for neck sizing and when FL sizing is needed, I use Imperial wax. And a little does go a long way. When I started using the dry graphite lube, I learned from some of the longtime reloaders on this site, that using a brush of the right size is the easiest and least messy way of using this stuff. I, also was having problems, and even crushed some of my brass, before using the dry neck lube. since I started using it though, I have not had a problem with any of my brass.
I have learned from my own experience, also, to put about a 1/4 in deep in a shot glass. When I dip the brush in the glass, I swirl the brush to get the dry lube completely on the brush, then bump the brush on the edge of the shot glass, to shake the excess off the brush. I then proceed to lube 2 or three cases, and then do the same again, over and over until all my cases have been lubed.
This just is just my way of lubing my cases. And as I stated above, I have not had one problem since.

Also, on a side note: take the neck sizing ball out of the die, and examine carefully. When I looked at mine, it was galled badly from the friction during the resizing process before using the neck lube. If it is damaged, replace it before going any farther. I am also using Redding dies.
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Futuretrades - don't forget to put HER toothbrush back when you are done. :)
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

acloco wrote:Futuretrades - don't forget to put HER toothbrush back when you are done. :)
YA, I know! I did forget to clean her tooth brush one time. It took her a while to figure out why her teeth were all black! :eek:
THANK GOD, AND GREYHOUND, SHE'S GONE!
Been single ever since! :lol:
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Valar
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15

Post by Valar »

I use a rcbs case lube pad with lee resizing lube. Never a problem . I tried rcbs lube and it was way to greasy! The lee case lube works awsome.