New to the forum Having a problem with my 204

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
jo191145

Re: New to the forum Having a problem with my 204

Post by jo191145 »

Its been my expierience bullet coatings will reduce or eliminate copper fouling in fairly happy barrels. Your barrel seems quite unhappy at the moment.
I've used them all and use HBN now. I think WS2 is most effective negating copper. HBN is so much easier to use I stick with that. HBN really seems to help alleviate carbon fouling accumulation. In my 204's I still use naked bullets.

I'd suggest you buy some Patch-Out and the Accelerator that goes with it. I'd be willing to bet Sweets is missing some copper in the throat.
I've seen quite a few factory and milsurp barrels Sweets could not fully clean that Patch Out will.
Having ammonia etched copper deposits left in the throat seriously exacerbates your problems. Gotta get it all out before you can think of eliminating it.

Once its fully clean I'd then suggest you buy 1lb of Winchester 748. Load some up and start shootin.
You may or may not find an accurate load with 748. Does'nt much matter. Pay attention to the copper fouling in the muzzle.
Should be drastically reduced just by switching to a sootier ball powder. H-4895 is just running too clean for your barrel. Not uncommon at all for prolonged shooting.

I've shot over 400 naked rds using 748 in my barrels. Barrels that would copper up and go south quick using Benchmark.
I would'nt think of bringing a 204 to an egg shoot unless I have at least 100rds of fouling in it. I usually only clean them out of guilt.

Once you begin to understand the correlation between carbon and copper fouling you can decide on trying different powders if 748 isn't giving accuracy. H-355, Tac, X-Terminator are a few that come to mind.
Of course some powders give too much carbon. Any powder that steadily accumulates carbon will give inconsistent accuracy just like a powder that allows steady copper accumlation. You need to find your barrels balancing point.

I agree with Silverfox. Hornady seems to copper the most. Berger the least. You might want to try some 39bk's. Drop the velocity a bit by using a heavier bullet. Velocity reduction always helps.

Try some 748. If that does'nt cure it theres still other methods ;)
Always have a very light coat of oil in a clean bore for your first fouler. Don't start with a dry bore, thats just asking for trouble.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Post by Gube »

stealthshooter wrote:I have lapped the barrel twice now. and yes I copper clean it after every 20-30 rounds or it just flat out won't shoot. The layer of copper you are seeing in the bore is after 20 rounds on a freshly scoured Barrel. I am using Sweets 7.62 solvent for the copper with a nylon brush.

Thanks for the replies Guys!!!
Try switching up to a good ole "bronze brush" instead of nylon. You may be pleasantly surprised by how much more you get out. I've tried nylon brushes and in my opinion they just don't do enough to clean the bore.
Savage Vaporizer
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Stealth, welcome to the forum! Keep us posted on what Savage does for you! Gary
p.s. you need more than one varmint rifle! :lol:
stealthshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Predator Hunter

Post by stealthshooter »

Thanks much for the advice Guys it's greatly apreciated!!

Kris
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

stealth: The only thing a nylon brush is good for IMO, is for brushing in copper solvents like Barnes CR-10 or Sweets 7.62. A bronze brush with solvents like Butches or Shooters Choice though, is the only way to really get a bore clean, along with patches and plenty of elbow grease. My friend and shooting buddy Chris Ditcher of Pac-Nor Barrels agrees.

Just imagine what's left behind after forcing a copper pill into a .002" press fit at about 65,000 psi and 2,000*F in less than a nano-second. Answer: Alot of crap. :? Bronze brush! ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

stealthshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Predator Hunter

Post by stealthshooter »

well............I ran into a guy that just had to have a 204 so I traded Him mine for a 22-250 same make and model guns. So far I'm liking the gun and He is happy with the 204. I guess maybe I was just getting frustrated and it was time to move on.
GDJMSP
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 VLP

Post by GDJMSP »

Well, got here too late it seems. But if you or anyone else has a copper problem in the future, try this - Ultra Bore Coat http://www.ultracoatingsinc.com/ubc.aspx