Hey everyone!!

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
6.5swede
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700

Hey everyone!!

Post by 6.5swede »

Edit... oops ... didn't mean this to be a new topic... meant to go in "tell us about yourself" move it as necessary.

Thanks,

Larry

New to the forum so i thought I should introduce myself.. name is Larry and located in NW Montana, Whitefish. Born and raised here in Whitefish but lived for many years in N. Idaho, Post Falls. Have been an avid gopher shooter since the late '50's. Mostly with my old Sears M46.. a.k.a. Marlin M57 in .22lr. Recently added a Savage 93 in .17HMR to handle the 125 yd plus stuff. I had a Rem 788 in 22-250 for many years but it went by the wayside for some reason I don't recall. ;0) It's tough in this area any more to find any place to stretch out any center-fire varmint round, tough enough finding a place to shoot the .22 or .17HMR. All my old haunts are now covered with houses or surrounded by houses. My uncle's 300 plus acre ranch is now even in the city limits!! Grrrrr!! Having been one of the man unemployed for some time it has given me time to work on projects etc and to think about getting something to really reach out with for gophers which also will warrant a trip to the east side to try some PD shooting. Anyway... saved up and bought a Rem 700 in .204 Ruger. No glass for it yet and in the interest of being able to shoot it anytime soon it may end up initially with an old 3-9 scope that I have had for years. Have in days gone by also used my 6.5x55 for gophers with 87gr Speer HP's... absolutely devastating on gophers out to my longest hit at approx 400 yds. That was many moons ago, 30 plus yrs!! I'm hoping the .204 will be as painless as my old 22-250 and 6.5x55 in finding a suitable load for it. Been reloading since the late '60's. M old M94 Mauser and the 788 would shoot most anything I tried in them, handloads, to half inch or less if I did my part. I've been reading all that is available here on bullets and powders for the .204 and am happy to see that Win 748, my favorite in my 22-250, is a favored powder by some. I'll start there with load development and then perhaps H335 and BL/C-2. Debated long and hard before getting the .204. Wanted to build a .20 Vartarg as I had a .221 Fireball in a Contender years ago and loved it. The small case capacity doesn't hamper it's performance at all and makes it very economical to shoot lots. Bad habit of mine!! :roll:

Enjoy reading here as there is a tremendous amount of expertise here on all facets of shooting and reloading etc. Thanks for the great reading everyone. Now back to some projects.... finishing the built and designed from scratch stock for my Savage 93 and working on the sporter stock for my M96/38 Mauser. (Bubba had already done his thing on it before I got it!!!) Then on to designing a stock for the Rem 700 and drooling over what wood to use!! So many decisions!!!!!

Later!!

Larry
Larry

Real rifles have wood stocks!!

Savage 93 .17HMR, 3-9 BDC
Remington 700 SPS .204 Ruger, 6-24 Mildot
Remington 788 22-250 Leopold FX12

acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Re: Hey everyone!!

Post by acloco »

Larry - Welcome aboard!

I have recently relocated back to Montana as well...on the OTHER side of the state - Glendive.

Post some pics of your projects...we like ALL types here. Especially the 204 related. :)
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Welcome to the Forum Larry!! Like acloco said we like pictures. They are easier to read. :lol:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
6.5swede
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700

Post by 6.5swede »

Don't have a lot of pix of the projects yet so here's my humble primary 'gopher gun' since 1960 when I purchased it. Sears Model 46C a.k.a. Marlin Model 56.

Here are a couple of drawings of the stock I am making or my Savage 93 in .17HMR. Drawings were done in Sketchup 7 Pro and as you can see from the drawings gunstocks are not it's strong suit!!

The wood being used is of note to me in that it is the last piece of walnut my Pop had in his shop. It was brought from northern Iowa where it had been cut down and to be used as firewood at some of our relatives farm. Pop saw it, said... " I'll take it!!!!! " Pop passed away in Oct of 2008 so you can see the value of it to me. There is enough for at least 2 stocks possibly 3, Savage 93, Rem700 and my M96/38 Husky Mauser or perhaps the M46c. Time will tell. Will have some pix of my new reloading/work bench shortly also. Still finishing it.

Will go pick up a 'new' .22 Monday or Tuesday, Remington 580.

Have fun getting geared up for the coming gopher and PD season of shooting!!

Later,

Larry
Larry

Real rifles have wood stocks!!

Savage 93 .17HMR, 3-9 BDC
Remington 700 SPS .204 Ruger, 6-24 Mildot
Remington 788 22-250 Leopold FX12