Advice on a new budget gun please

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Gorram
.204 Ruger Guns: none, yet....

Advice on a new budget gun please

Post by Gorram »

Howdy .204 folk! :)

New to here, looking at buying a .204, sounds like some problems with Rem sps varmint.... but that's about what I have in the budget.

Any thoughts on a similar priced gun?

Thanks in advance! :D
nitis
.204 Ruger Guns: rem 700

Re: Advice on a new budget gun please

Post by nitis »

whats wrong with the 700 mine shoots cloverleafs and its not a heavy 26 just a standard 24
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

My 204 shoots knot holes @ 200 yards, My CZ does too.

Jim
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

+1 for the M700 204R. Mine shoots groups you can cover with a dime at 200 yards.

Go with the Remmy, just plan on tweaking the trigger, floating the barrel, bedding the action and maybe lap the barrel with JB Paste prior to firing. Years ago, M700's were all you saw on the firing line at BR matches prior to the advent of custom actions. Like many new items that come from factories that mass produce items, their products need a bit of post-production attention. Savages seem prone to this anomoly also, but both are good rifles when given the proper attention by their owners.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Gorram
.204 Ruger Guns: none, yet....

Post by Gorram »

Thanks, guys..... Rem it'll be!

Just need to pick an appropriate scope...... again on a budget. :D

Cheers, G.
jdefranc938
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper 21 Varminter .204 Ruger

Post by jdefranc938 »

just throwin my .02 in here, but the leupolds are worth it. I originally bought a Simmons for my M77 204. I couldn't get the gun to stay consistant. So i put a Leupold on it and it is consistant as can be. Ya, a Simmons is 200 or less and a Leupold is quite a bit more but you definitely get what u pay for. I spent over $300 in supplies attempting to get my 204 to shoot. The whole time it was the scope, and not me or the gun, or the reloads. So, I'm not gonna try to sell you on a leupold but believe me, you will be very happy with your purchase since this isn't going to be something you will replace. Plus, the service/warranty, if you need it, is great. The clarity on the Simmons is amazing, but the crosshairs are not stable and your zero point will change unknowingly. I'm not bashing simmons because I have a couple of those scopes on 22's, but their new optic lines, now owned by bushnell, is horrible. So, as I mentioned before, you get what you pay for. Spend a little bit of extra money and be satisfied with what you buy. Any questions, ask us. The guys on here taught me a lot! And of course, I learned a lot on my own... the hard way.
Cooper M21 Varminter 204 Ruger with Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x40mm LR VHR
Custom Remington 700 6.5 x 47L with Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25x50 M1 TMR