REDDING DIES

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Re: REDDING DIES

Post by Jim White »

Rick in Oregon wrote:Ramos: Eventually you'll want both neck, F/L and body dies for the reasons stated above. If you get the neck and body die, no real reason for the F/L unless you just wanted to combine neck and F/L sizing in one operation.

Rick,

Do you find the Redding Competition seater die for non VLD bullet use worth the extra $$$? I use them for my 308, 223 & 6mm but only because I use VLD bullets from time-to-time.

For my 204 I have Redding F/L & neck size bushing dies but I use a STD seater. I reload 39 SBK.

Jim
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Jim White wrote:
Rick in Oregon wrote:Ramos: Eventually you'll want both neck, F/L and body dies for the reasons stated above. If you get the neck and body die, no real reason for the F/L unless you just wanted to combine neck and F/L sizing in one operation.

Rick,

Do you find the Redding Competition seater die for non VLD bullet use worth the extra $$$? Jim
Jim - Yes, I sure do. Tests I did comparing TIR using both die sets confirmed a real consistent advantage for the comp seater with all bullets I normally use. I ran these tests right after replacing my 40 year old (and as a result - worn out) Rochchucker press, as it alone was giving me over .005" of runout. Like everything else, things wear out, even presses if they've been used hard over the years.

When I set up for the 204 originally, and saw it most likely would stay, I purchased the best die setup I could right out of the gate to optimize whatever performance the new round could offer. I haven't looked back, all three of my 204's are quite accurate using the comp seater die, albeit with three different bullet/powder combinations.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

Done deal, ordered the Redding set with F/L bushing die and competition seater from Sinclair. Nothing to do now, except wait. Thank you all for your' input.
glbondoc
.204 Ruger Guns: weatherby vangaurd

Post by glbondoc »

Ramos i see this post is quite old, but i am looking to start reloading. I feel i am in the same boat you were in when purchasing dies. which redding set did you purchase? how much should i look to spend? and how do you feel about your over all purchase? I am not sure which two die set to go with. or should i go with a three die set? i don't want to spend money then later realize that i should have bought something else. any and all input is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.
RAMOS

Post by RAMOS »

Wow, this is a blast from the past! I bought the Redding set # 36287 (749-007-898WS @ Sinclair). It includes the Type-S full length bushing die and the Competition Seater. I swapped out the standard expander ball for the carbide upgrade. MUCH less drag. If FL sizing, I use Imperial Wax, sparingly. If neck sizing only, I use Redding dry lube, only on the neck. Performance (consistency) has been fantastic. I have the same set for a 20VT. I have gone to Wilson micrometer top dies for seating. This was done only to get away from the bolted down press so I can seat anywhere I choose. Run-out measured with a dial indicator is identical between the Redding and Wilson seaters. A good source for the Redding dies is "CRT Custom Reloading Tools", see banner at top of this page. They also have the best cleaning patches I have ever used. Have fun with that 204R!!!
glbondoc
.204 Ruger Guns: weatherby vangaurd

Post by glbondoc »

Thank you Ramos for taking the time to reply. I went ahead and ordered me a set of redding dies from Brad at CRT. i should receive them this week. now to order my press!
RAMOS

Post by RAMOS »

So, what presses are you looking at?
Jim White

Post by Jim White »

For single stage, I use a Redding. For progressive; Dillon 650.
Jim White

Post by Jim White »

Regarding the REDDING COMP SEATER dies...DO-NOT clamp down that locking ring too hard; doing so will damage the die. On that model [and probably the COMP SIZER too] the body isn't as stout as the regular seating dies are.

Whether to use the COMP seater die is a personal choice but I relegate their use to rifles that use varying bullets, and where the distance to lands [or in the lands] is critical to accuracy; otherwise I use the STD seater. Eitherway, its hard to go wrong with Redding Dies. Forester's are good too.