Rem 700 SPS Varmint

Talk about or share information about your centerfire rifles.
Song Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10, 12, & 16

Rem 700 SPS Varmint

Post by Song Dog »

Does anyone have this?
I have an older 700 VS with the grey splattered stock and basically is the sps the same but with a different stock?

In Christ,

Song Dog
PREDATOR DYNAMICS (facebook)
Foxpro Western Dealer Rep.
God's Country Camouflage-Fieldstaff
"A man with an experience has volumes more than a man with a theory"
stevecrea

Re: Rem 700 SPS Varmint

Post by stevecrea »

I have handled them in the stores. The stock is quite a bit more flexible than the HS Precision stock that I believe is on your VS. Also, the SPS does not have the aluminum bedding plate or pillars that I believe are in the HS Precision. The forend on the SPS is flimsy enough that it will contact the barrel on the sides or bottom of the barrel without much pressure applied to it, where the VS is fully freefloated.

I remember reading a gun test of the SPS Varmint, and accuracy was tested with the standard stock. Then, the stock was replaced with a more expensive stock such as an HS Precision, Bell & Carlson, or McMillan, but I cannot remember the details. The groups tightened up about 30 percent with the superior stock.

As far as I know, the barreled action may be the same as the VS. Remember also, that at some point in 2008 or 2009, the new X-Mark Pro triggers were being put into newly manufactured models.
Novus Ordo Seclorem ("a new order has begun")
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

SongDog, I have a 700 SPS Tactical that has a HS stock and it is one dynamite shooter...(.223)... It produces 1.25" groups at 200yds in good weather (no wind & 70 degrees), on my good days..with 60gr V-Max bullets

I think you will probably want to upgrade the stock though...as I understand the factory ones leave a lot to be desired...

I've since added a Burris Black Diamond 8-32x scope to replace the 8.5-25x that is in the photo...
AR
Factory/Factory
WaltherP99
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 VLP

Post by WaltherP99 »

http://www.snipercentral.com/remspsv.htm

There is the link to the test that Stevecrea is referring too.

I have one chambered in .22-250 (pic of rifle below). It's a GREAT rifle and will give me 1/2"-3/4" groups with handloads. I have a feeling it will do much better once I switch to the 55gr. Nosler BT's.

My ONLY complaints with the rifle were the stock (which was replaced with a B&C) and the barrel seems to have a tight spot in it.

Although the stock is functional, you may want to replace right off the bat! I am considering an SPS-V in .17 Fireball and I already have the cost of a replacement stock factored in (if I decided to go with the Remmy).

This rifle was responsible for quite a few g-hogs this year and a whitetail doe last week (using 60gr. Nosler Partitions)