Joined the Savage club.

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
BabaOriley
.204 Ruger Guns: Dtech AR

Joined the Savage club.

Post by BabaOriley »

I often search gunbroker "Firearms - Modern" category for "204", because I'd like a 2nd .204 so one can cool while shooting prairie dogs. I had thought I wanted .223, but since I don't already, I may as well stick to .204, and not get brass mixed up. Late last night I noticed there was a Savage "16SS" running at $350+$25 shipping, with only a couple hours left. 22" stainless barrel/action. I went and read some on the 16 but they seem to be kind of rare. I hesitated. Maybe there was a reason I can't find any info on them? I did find the 16"F"SS. About the only model they list that doesn't have a hinged floor plate. I don't think I'd need a hinged floor plate on a prairie dog town. I think it may actually be a 16FSS and they just listed it as a 16SS. Any of you know for sure? It looks pretty nice. Even has a jeweled bolt. I figured I'd watch and see if it moved. If it got REAL late, maybe I'd have a chance at it. If it comes and I don't like it, being as it's NEW UNFIRED I should be able to get my money out of it if it isn't something I'll want. Well I got it at $355+$25 shipping.

1. Do they make a 16"SS"? The only one on the Savage website with a blind mag is the "FSS"?

2. I actually like the thought of carrying an 8lb rifle (with scope) instead of my AR that totals over 12 while out in the snow looking for coyotes. Is the sporter weight barrel on this going to be too thin, and heat up too fast on prairie dogs?

3. I read something about how plastic stocks on the 16 series have more flex than the plastic stocks on the 12 series. Could that be true?

4. I've actually had my eye on several CZ 527 Varmint over the last year, mainly because they cost less than the Savage 12, and sound like they shoot at least as well out of the box. They have a nice wood stock. These are heavy barrels, but the CZ still only weighs like 6 pounds (less than the 16FSS). Does this Savage 16 have any chance of shooting like most of the 12's seem to? Other than the sporter weight barrel, are there any other major differences in the 16 series vs the 12 that would cause them to be any less accurate? About how many shots would you guess it could make before needing to cool? Like 10 in 5 minutes? 10 in 2 minutes?

I think some of you here understand what I'm looking for. Did I make a good deal on a rifle I can use, or would I be better off to keep looking?

Utimately, when I think about it, saving $100 may not be worth taking the wrong rifle into the field, so ?
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Re: Joined the Savage club.

Post by Jim White »

Baba,

Nothing wrong with a Savage, I have two of their 17 HMR's. When looking for a heavy 204 I was looking real hard at Savages until I stumbled across my Remington 700 SS Thumbhole. In fact they looked identiacal except the Remington had a floor plate while the Savage did not.

I agree with your decision to dump the 223 for the 204 since you already have a 204 . I find my self in the same situation and I'm looking at a 3rd 204, probably either a CZ-Varmint or Remington (already have the bore guides for these). One of these days I'm going to turn my 40-x into a switch barrel rig and then it's going to be hard to choose; a 220 Swift, 22-250 or 22-250 AI but because I have so darn many 223 heavy bullets (like 6000 or so from my highpower days) I'm going to have to get a 1x8 twist barrel.

Regarding barrel cooling, if you don't have one may I suggest a 17 HMR to supplement your 204's. On a calm day they can easily reach 200 yard ground squirrels.

Sounds like you did OK. Does it have the Accu-Trigger?

Jim
giterdone
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV-Savage 12VLP-T/C Encore SS all in .204 Ruger

Post by giterdone »

The Savage model 16FHSS has AccuTrigger, AccuStock, short action, hinged floorplate.
The 16FCSS has the same as above but detachable box magazine.
"The 16FSS has AccuTrigger, Internal Magazine, short action (no AccuStock)"
I think you will like the internal magazine over the detachable mag. model (less flex in the stock)
I have an older 12VLP that has an internal magazine. A friend has the detachable box magazine and was telling me he had to modify it (the stock) to stop the flexing by putting some kind of block in its place, whatever. :chin:
John Moses Browning made the west safe for Winchesters
BabaOriley
.204 Ruger Guns: Dtech AR

Post by BabaOriley »

Jim White wrote:Nothing wrong with a Savage
Never thought anything was "wrong" with them. I just couldn't figure out if the 16 was even the same action as the 10,11,12,14 etc... It seems the 25 is a different action, but the rest are the same, correct?

Was thinking for such a fair acquisition price, if this barrel does heat up too fast, as long as the receiver is the same as the other Savages, it might someday be able to be switched out with one of the many pre-fit barrels available from the custom barrel manufacturers. I have found stocks under $100 that should work better if the plastic one it comes with is too flimsy.

Anxious now to see if it's the shooter I'm hoping it could be. It should be 5 to 6 pounds less to carry than my heavy barreled AR-15.
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

Baba

Sounds like you got a heck of a deal. Thats a darn good price.
Yes its a thin walker type barrel and will heat faster. I don't have one.
I do have a walker McGowen tube. I've seen no problems with it heating up to fast.
Thinner barrels do heat faster. They also cool faster.

My advice... Try to get a load worked up using Win-748.
Its a cool burning powder. If you can get it working for you it will help a lot with sustained shooting.

Yes, the 16 is a "standard" Savage action. The 25 is not.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .