Pressure problems......?

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
Keith in Ga

Pressure problems......?

Post by Keith in Ga »

Installed a new Leupold scope on my Tikka varmint .223 yesterday, and had some "issues" while shooting. My first round, shooting a 53 gr bullet, loaded with Benchmark powder (full 1/2 gr. off max), the primer was almost pierced and smoke coming from the chamber. The brass wasn't hard to eject. The first round was loaded in military brass, but subsequent rounds were loaded in HSM brass. I switched ammo, no problem, but switched back to the original ammo, and had the same thing happen a couple more times. On the rounds that didn't act up, the primers were cratered and flat. I had this happen once before, months ago, but only one time. The rounds were all weighed on my Chargemaster. The oal was by the book, however, I didn't trim any of the cases. Is this my problem......or any suggestions? Never had this happen with any of my reloads.

Almost forgot: these loads were using standard CCI primers, all my other loads have been with Federal match primers.
ImageImage
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Re: Pressure problems......?

Post by Glen »

You could pull a bullet & dump the powder on your scale to verify the weight is correct.
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Keith in Ga

Post by Keith in Ga »

Glen, I did pull the bullets and checked the powder........right on the money.

I made a call to Sierra, their tech said it was using mixed brass, and the charge was too much, even though it wasn't max. He said NOT to mix brass. Guess I have been lucky, I've done that for years, especially loading for pd's. I'll be more particular with brass from now on!
ImageImage
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Things that make you go :chin: .
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

one thing to to keep in mind with the 223, military brass is thicker, thus reducing the amount of powder capacity. this could be part of the problem, even if your loads are 1/2 grain below max load. definately check the length of your brass. if the brass is over length, this could also cause some pressure issues. it is unlikely tho if your chamber is saami specs, as there is some extra room normally in factory chambers. too be on the safe side, trim your brass to the trim to length of 1.750. your max length is 1.760. also watch your bullet seating depth. with a 53 gr bullet, you may be able to get close to the lands, depending on chamber length
although i know it is a good idea not to mix the brass when reloading, i do it with the .223, but my loads are all about 1/2 way between min and max loads, and i use a lot of military brass.
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

futuretrades is spot-on, as military brass is much thicker in order to be fired in full-auto weapons without damage and reliable extraction in those arms. Never mix brass, and always reduce the charge substantially if using military brass in any caliber until you're up to the desired velocity level, assuming no excessive pressure signs.

You'll get much more consistent accuracy if you don't mix brass headstamps.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

FireBallGuy
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington Model 700 VSF 204 Ruger

Post by FireBallGuy »

Up until recently I was guilty of the same crime of mixing brass. When I got this new remy I have sorted out all my brass and plan on using my WW brass until they are done for. Then I will switch to hornady and when thiose are done have a couple of bag of new remy brass. Should take me a while to run out of cases....LOL!
Remington Model 700 SPS 17 Remington Fireball Nikon Buckmaster 6-18X40SF, Remington Model 700 VSF 204 Ruger Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24X40AO, Savage Model 12 FVSS .22-250 Remington Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24X40AO