Fluting a barrel

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
giterdone
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV-Savage 12VLP-T/C Encore SS all in .204 Ruger

Fluting a barrel

Post by giterdone »

"If you have a Shilen barrel fluted, the warranty is void." Do other barrel makers still guaranty their "fluted" barrels? :? My new 12LRPV came today sans fluted barrel. I think im happy it came that way?
John Moses Browning made the west safe for Winchesters
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Re: Fluting a barrel

Post by Ray P »

giterdone.............I can only comment on Hart Barrels as per there web site. They (Hart) prefer to flute before they do there final hand lapping of the barrel to bring it into spec.
Don't know if this helps? Here Harts site for your info.......
http://www.hartbarrels.com/
Later
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

git: Because of the stress induced into or relieved from the barrel steel by improper fluting, many makers will void the warranty if they themselves do not do the actual machining. It must be done properly or you'll end up with a bent barrel in the end; hence Shilen's policy.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

giterdone
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV-Savage 12VLP-T/C Encore SS all in .204 Ruger

Post by giterdone »

RIO..Thanks for your input; guess all you can do is hope the person doing the fluting is doing it properly as you say. Fluted barrels "look cool" and I often wonder how the "spiral fluted" barrels shoot. I have never seen an article that compares a rifles accuracy both before and after fluting is done. I had a Weatherby Accumark in 7mm STW that was factory fluted that you could not hit the side of a barn with, even if you were inside.
(Of course if I did hit one I wouldn't want to clean it.) :twocents:
John Moses Browning made the west safe for Winchesters
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

git: I doubt that fluting was the culprit regarding the Weatherby's inaccuracy, most likely another issue, or a host of other issues. You won't see many of those rifles in competition anywhere, so consider that also.

Some of my varmint rifles that have been either factory fluted or custom fluted by the barrel maker are some of the most accurate rifles I own, so fluting alone cannot be credited or blamed for any accuracy issues....at least not in these rifles here. If you decide to flute, just have the barrel maker do the work.....if they don't flute their barrels, look elsewhere if you really think you need fluting.

FWIW: My last custom barrel, my 11 twist tight neck Pac-Nor Super Match 204 was ordered without flutes, although Pac-Nor offers this service. :chin:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails