Lead-free Barnes .257 TTSX bullets on ground squirrels.

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Lead-free Barnes .257 TTSX bullets on ground squirrels.

Post by Wrangler John »

Just before retiring I decided to commission a new rifle on an old Remington 700 action that had been languishing in the safe. It had a El Cheapo brand barrel chambered for the .257 Roberts Ackley Improved. That would never do, so it was sent off for a complete rebuild with all the bells and whistles, especially a barrel with its bore the same diameter all the way through this time. I wanted it to recapture my youth spent exploding ground squirrels while dodging rattlers, scorpions and ticks. Yet I became too excited too soon, for best laid plans are soon squashed by the fat lady of fate. Just after I worked up a great load with Hornady’s 75 grain V-Max bullet, California banned lead bullets where I hunt. To my horror I discovered that nobody makes a .257” diameter lead-free varmint bullet. Then, while browsing for loading data on the .204 Varmint Grenade on Barnes’ website, I noticed they are offering a new 80 grain Tipped Triple Shock TTXS solid copper bullet in .257 caliber. Not exactly a varmint bullet, but it is lead-free. Would it work? Although a bit pricey, I picked up a supply to find out.

Bullets for the .257 Ackley Improved I have used for varmints. Left to right: Hornady 75 gr V-Max; Barnes 80 gr TTSX; Nosler 85 gr Ballistic-Tip; Sierra 90 gr HPBT.

Turns out they shot fine in the Remington with 48 grains of H 380, under a half-inch, at 3,485 fps. Only thing they were sensitive to is seating depth, with smallest groups coming when seated .050” off the lands. All that remained was the question of how they would work on such a small target. Would they simply punch a hole through the squirrel like some rimfires, or would they produce a satisfying splat? The Barnes TSX bullets are well known for wreaking havoc inside deer and larger critters and exiting on the far side, making them good for larger game. Something told me that the impact of anything around 3,000 fps would work, but there is only one way to know for sure.

First little squirrel popped up just 35 yards in front of me, causing a scramble to twist the objective lens into focus and drop back on the power. Recoil isn't as light as the .204 Ruger, so I didn't see what happened until I did a carcass walk. In the words of a pimple faced creature of the '70's - gnarly!

Took awhile before things settled, then I missed one at about a hundred yards. Next came what I call the troika, three little rats in a row. In this case I had to readjust the objective lens just shy of 200 yards to clear up the picture, but I held right on each one as they popped up. Saw the first one do a somersault before the scope hit me in the glasses - fair exchange. Then the other two were taken in short order. I took several more shots, but couldn't tell if I connected.

They looked a bit ragged when it was all over.

Walking back to the bench I discovered this little fellow. I hadn't missed him after all. This is gotta be the smallest squirrel I ever hit at near 200 yards. His body can't be more than 3 or 4 inches long.

So, for those in a lead-free zone with the urge to do some longer range work with a .257" bore, don't hesitate, these bullets will get it done. I'd like to try them on chucks some day.
Last edited by Wrangler John on Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Re: Lead-free Barnes .257 TTSX bullets on ground squirrels.

Post by Captqc »

Nice pictures and write-up. Looks like those do quite a job on the squirrels! :eek: Gary
Lenard
.204 Ruger Guns: 700 Remington

Post by Lenard »

Wrangler John

I have a 257 that I had built in the latter part of the 70's. It was a Ruger short action that I bought a Shilen barrel for. It has taken its share of ground squirrels in W. Oregon. Never shot anything but 87 grain Speer bullets in it. After sighting it in, I shot two groups with it at 200 yards that were 9/16" groups. Wonderfully good cartridge and very accurate in the guns I have had. I seriously doubt that I can shoot that well anymore as age is slowing me down some. I don't shoot it very much anymore, as I like the less noisy cartridges.

Lenard
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Post by Wrangler John »

Well Lenard, I know about the age thing - just can't seem to stop it from happening!

My first .257 Roberts Ackley was back about 1969 when I picked up a Ruger Model 77 in .257 Roberts and had it rechambered by Micro Sight. That thing was phenomenally accurate. It soon became my favorite squirrel cartridge because it made them "disappear". For me, either the 75 grain Sierra or Hornady HP's over 48 grains of H 380 did the trick. Stupidly sold that rifle when I picked up a Remington 40X in .22-250. Then rebarreled a Remington 700 action for the Ackley, and that was the rifle I had completely overhauled last year. Funny thing is, I still load the ammo on the same Rock Chucker press with the same dies given to me by Gene Imbert of Imbert and Smithers in 1969. Seems reloading tools outlasts us all.

Just as you mention, I now find the .204 Ruger, .223 Remington and little 6mm PPC more my speed. Less recoil and noise and just as much fun. For those good days when nothing hurts, I can still pull out the Roberts or that monstrosity of a Cooper 6.5-284 and knock myself silly. Sometimes I just got no sense.