Need input on cleaning rod.......

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Keith in Ga

Need input on cleaning rod.......

Post by Keith in Ga »

since I ruined my Pro-Shot rod this morning. I have a 38 1/2", 17-20 cal, one piece stainless rod, that I've had for a few years. I've never really been happy with this rod, the 20 cal jags are too big, and don't fit well. Also, can't seem to find just the right size patch to use with these jags. The 17 cal jags seem to work with 1 1/8" (.22 cal) patches. I "ground" a .20 cal jag, but when I teamed up with a 1 1/8" patch....the combo was too large and "bent" my rod.
I've also got a Dewey coated rod, but the coating is peeling off in a few places. Dewey folks said not to worry, keep using it. This rod has more spine, but isn't quite as long as I would like, especially using my rod guide.
QUESTION: What rod, jag, and patch combo are you using? Sometimes the most simple things can cause the biggest headaches. Appreciate any help.......
ImageImage
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Need input on cleaning rod.......

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Keith: The hot setup (in Rick's World): Dewey .20 cal rod w/Pro Shot spear point .20 cal jag, use 1-1/8" square Pro Shot cotton patches. I use this exact system for virtually all my rifles (w/caliber specific rod/jag/brush). You only need to add a quality bore guide to the equation to 'make things right'. :D

By using a caliber specific rod & jag combination, you can use the same 1-1/8" square cotton patches for calibers from .22 to 6mm; saves the patch inventory and works excellently. The same system using a .17 cal rod/jag/brush uses the 3/4" square patch.

The Silver Princess of Death gets scrubbed during a shoot.....

Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

I like the Tipton carbon fiber cleaning rods as they are easy on the barrels. Just do not try to force a really tight patch back out or the threads will strip on the 20 cal. rod. They will not leave the scraped off coating in your barrel or action.
Please, no Sidewinder today!
IKE
.204 Ruger Guns: .204; Kimber Pro Varmint

Post by IKE »

Keith in Ga wrote:since I ruined my Pro-Shot rod this morning. I have a 38 1/2", 17-20 cal, one piece stainless rod, that I've had for a few years. I've never really been happy with this rod, the 20 cal jags are too big, and don't fit well. Also, can't seem to find just the right size patch to use with these jags. The 17 cal jags seem to work with 1 1/8" (.22 cal) patches. I "ground" a .20 cal jag, but when I teamed up with a 1 1/8" patch....the combo was too large and "bent" my rod.
I've also got a Dewey coated rod, but the coating is peeling off in a few places. Dewey folks said not to worry, keep using it. This rod has more spine, but isn't quite as long as I would like, especially using my rod guide.
QUESTION: What rod, jag, and patch combo are you using? Sometimes the most simple things can cause the biggest headaches. Appreciate any help.......

I like Rick also use 1 1/8 square cotton patches but I get mine from Sinclair so don't know if ther would be a difference in thickness. I started out using a Dewey polished stainless rod but would get some deflection in the rod on a tight patch. I read about how good Ivy rods were on a Bench Rest forum so I checked them out and ordered one. The Dewey rod is .155 in Dia. and I think they use it for both the .17 cal. and the .204 cal. The Ivy rod is .187 in Dia and is made just for the .204 cal. This gives the rod quite a lot more backbone on a tight patch. It is a very high quality polished stainless rod, costs a little more than the Dewey but is worth it in my opinion. To contact them go to www.ivyrods.com
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Dewey has dedicated diameters for both .17 cal and their .20 cal rods; they are not the same.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

IKE

Post by IKE »

Rick in Oregon wrote:Dewey has dedicated diameters for both .17 cal and their .20 cal rods; they are not the same.
I ordered a .20 cal. from Dewey so they either sent me the wrong rod or their .17 cal must be awfully small dia. Rick what does your .20 cal Dewey rod measure for Dia?
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Here's the diameters of the Dewey rods we'd be interested in:

.17 Cal Rod: .160"
.20 Cal Rod: .190"
.22 Cal Rod: .205"

The thing to remember here is that using a spear point jag with the proper patch (Sinclair/Pro Shot, etc), will not only clean the bore faster and more efficiently, but both the rod and barrel will last longer with proper fit.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

IKE

Post by IKE »

Rick in Oregon wrote:Here's the diameters of the Dewey rods we'd be interested in:

.17 Cal Rod: .160"
.20 Cal Rod: .190"
.22 Cal Rod: .205"

The thing to remember here is that using a spear point jag with the proper patch (Sinclair/Pro Shot, etc), will not only clean the bore faster and more efficiently, but both the rod and barrel will last longer with proper fit.
Rick; Are your rods coated rods or polished stainless? Mine are polished stainless so if coated wondered how thick coating was as your .17 cal or .20 cal does not match my .20 cal rod. I also use th e spear pointed jags
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

I'm only using Dewey coated rods in all calibers. Years ago I used Pro Shot polished stainless rods, but didn't like the idea of steel on steel if any slight bending of the rod ocurred in the barrel. A proper fitting rod will not bend, but the idea of coated rods has always apealed to me because of this. When using coated rods though, you must remember to wipe the rod off with a paper towel or rag every time it comes out of the gun, with the exception of bronze brushing, and even then I give it a wipe about every ten passes to keep the slop from running about.

Besides all this, the handles on the Pro Shot rods bugged me; too small, not enough 'grab factor'. Good thing we have choices, eh? ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA