Which 20 cal.

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
204cat
.204 Ruger Guns: rem 700 sps in 204ruger

Re: Which 20 cal.

Post by 204cat »

How about a “204 ufo”? A 204 on a 223 wssm case. There was some talk of building something like that on here a while ago. Or 204wssm ? Just thought I would throw that in.
broper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 sps

Post by broper »

how about a .20 Ackley Bee?
kenbrofox
.204 Ruger Guns: remington vls 204

Post by kenbrofox »

204cat, that sounds like an interesting cal. 20 wssm. does anyone have any info. on such a thing please.Thanks KenB. :D
' Pay it forward buddy '
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Ken......A 20 WSSM? Okay, but figure on a new barrel about evey 700 or 800 rounds, as the thing is grossly overbore in factory .224" configuration. Ever wonder why it's popularity is greatly diminished compared to say, the 223 Rem or the 22-250?

The Laws of Physics are strictly enforced! :shock:

There is a host of much better parent case alternatives.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

kenbrofox

Post by kenbrofox »

Rick, point taken. YOU know how far behind the 8 ball i am when it comes down to it.lol. Just liked the look of the wssm case, and a barrel would last me ab out 10 years at that rate :D Back to the drawing board then,for a new project, as the 14 nearly finished. Cheers,Ken.
' Pay it forward buddy '
204cat
.204 Ruger Guns: rem 700 sps in 204ruger

Post by 204cat »

I read a lot. It was way back when I first started looking at the 204 I recall a few threads talking about chambering a rifle for the 204wssm. As Rick in Oregon said it is grossly overbore. As I recall they did not think the bullets would hold together. They were talking about having a reamer made. A barrel burner. I loved the idea and remembered it. None were ever produced as far as I know. That was before the prices went up and availability of components got harder to find.
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Post by Wrangler John »

Warning - opinion ahead!

I been splatting ground squirrels for forty years :shock: (OMG, forty four years actually). Took my home built .204 Ruger out yesterday for its maiden hunt. At the range it delivered .250" groups at 100 yards very consistently, with the 26 grain Barnes Varmint Grenade and 25.2 grains of Reloader 10x with either the Federal 205M or Remington 71/2 BR and Hornady or Winchester brass. Velocity averages 4,085 fps. Loads were assembled by dropping charges into full length sized once fired cases, only weighed every 10th charge; they varied by >.2 grain. No neck turning or idiocy that I usually indulge in. In fact, I have given up uniforming primer pockets, using the flash hole uniformer only. It still shoots .25" where 8 of 10 bullets print inside .250" and one or two shooter blow-its open things up, but still under .75".

It doesn't seem to matter if they are fired sized cases or brand new unfired cases, or the brand of case, or much of anything else - it still shoots the same. In the rolling savanna hill country I shoot in, ranges seldom exceed 250 yards, with most at 100 yards, a few less, lead free bullets are required. During the session I also tested my new home made portable shooting bench.

Squirrels hit by the little bullet actually produced a shock wave that I could see in the scope - I thought it was a dust puff from the ground behind them, it wasn't! The squirrels would be there, then disappear in the grass commensurate with the gray-puff shock wave. While one disappeared into chunky style biological paint, most just flipped up and unzipped, one lost its fore leg and was dead from hydrostatic shock, some gave the famous red-mist splat. I only missed two shots when the wind kicked up, just like at the range. The .204 Ruger doesn't paint them over the landscape like the .257 Ackley, or have the range of the .22-250 or Swift, or even the .223, or shoot the heavier bullets of the 6mm PPC, but it is consistent, accurate, easy to load without all the rigmarole of case forming, and with velocities above 4,000 fps - ideal. Opinion: There is nothing to gain by burning more powder, busy make-work of case forming, fire forming and fiddling around. Man, I like this cartridge for those calm wind days when I need a bit of fun.
kenbrofox

Post by kenbrofox »

Wrangler John,you've deffinately made a very valid point there, BUT men being boys, are never going to go for the sensible and easy option.We must have too much time on our hands when we can't actually be out shooting. I know i have! Thanks KenB :lol:
' Pay it forward buddy '
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Post by Wrangler John »

kenbrofox wrote:Wrangler John,you've deffinately made a very valid point there, BUT men being boys, are never going to go for the sensible and easy option.We must have too much time on our hands when we can't actually be out shooting. I know i have! Thanks KenB :lol:
Yeah, I know - I have a safe full of things like the .375 Epstein Magnum, .35-348 Winchester Ackley Improved, 6mm PPC's and other magical things that were going to make my life better. Wildcatting and Improving cartridges is a separate hobby entirely, as much fun as anything else and very informative. That's why I'm such a fan of the Savage action nowadays, because I can swap barrels to my heart's content. Just remember, everything has already been done - including necking the .378 Weatherby to .224"! Wow - I wonder? Shorten it and neck to .204 . . .?
kenbrofox

Post by kenbrofox »

Wrangler John, why not go the whole hog and neck it down to 17 :lol:
' Pay it forward buddy '
stevecrea

Post by stevecrea »

James Calhoun makes some interesting 19 caliber wildcats. You can Google him to get the website.
Novus Ordo Seclorem ("a new order has begun")
hattan1946
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by hattan1946 »

348 brass email me at drdean@clearwire.net if you go someto sell