Range Finder or Binoculars?

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
Bitman
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VSSF

Range Finder or Binoculars?

Post by Bitman »

I'm new to this whole Varmint Hunting thing, and have my first trip to Wyoming planned for the first of July.
Will spend 4 days shooting P.Dogs. So what's more important, a Range Finder or Binoculars?
Feel free to give suggestions on makes and models also.
I will be using the Leupold VariX-3, 6.5X20X40 scopes, with the Varmint Hunter reticle on my two 204's.
Thanks, Dave
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Re: Range Finder or Binoculars?

Post by Gube »

Personally I never go out prairie poodlin without both of them. Choosing only one would depend what the terrain was like and how rich the target supply was. If I'm in a target rich environment and the offerings were under 300 yds I could get away without using either one.
If it entails that many shots are at 300 yds or more the range finder would be the first choice. If there aren't to many critters around and the grass is fairly tall where its hard to see the little buggers, then the binos would definitely be the #1 choice.
It's nice to have a set of binos when shooting with another person cuz this way, the guy with the binos gets to see his buddy launch skippy in all its "magnified" glory. :twisted:
Savage Vaporizer
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

What Gube said! :D Gary
jwc41
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15 clone

Post by jwc41 »

I agree that having both is best. But if you have to prioritize, I wouldn't skimp on the laser rangefinder. A Leica 900 or 1200 will outperform, by a wide margin, anything not named Swarovski. Plus, the optics are top notch.